Skip to main content

A customer approached us because he was seeing the following message.

SQL Backup: Instance validation failed: Unknown error, please check CVD.log file

The backup is running and the connectivity shows no errors.
The name of the client is also unique.

In the CVD log I could only find:
5672 1514 10/26 16:10:29 ### ClientInterfaceNet::lookup() - Error: AppLookupClientWithHostName errorCode[1] message[Unable to lookup client with hostname. Please check if CS has duplicate clients with hostname[ctmdbs01.eos.lcl].].
5672 1514 10/26 16:10:29 ### CSQLInstancesValidator::RunThread(728): -Error-: Validate SQL instances failed with error [0xEDA002BF:{CSQLInstancesValidator::ValidateSQLInstances(665)} + {CSQLInstancesValidator::DiscoverS QLInstances( 439)} + {GetCurrentPhysicalClientID(79)} + {GetClientIDUsingHostName(53)/CV.0x2BF-Failed to get client id with error [10485792].}].
5672 1514 10/26 16:10:29 ### CSQLInstancesValidator::RunThread(737): -Warn--: nAutoDiscoverSQLInstanceTimeout is not set. Defaulting to 24 hours

Does anyone have an idea why this message is displayed and how we can fix it?

CommServe are running on 11.32.23
Agent: 11.28.56

There are screenshots attached.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Thomas..

Good Afternoon

Can you please Navigate to comcell console→ Tools→ User Preferences → Client computer Filter ->enable Show Virtual Machines and then check if there are any duplicate clients with hostname ctmdbs01.eos.lcl ?

Hello @yukta

yes, I now see two entries here. However, one only shows the VSA and the other shows the DB backups. Is that not correct or how should I fix the problem?

Hi Thomas,

Good day!!

If these clients have same hostname, You can check below article and try to merge these both duplicate clients

https://kb.commvault.com/article/63652

Hello @yukta

Yes, I've had to merge duplicate entries before. I just don't understand why there are now duplicate entries. Back then, there were only duplicate entries due to a mistake we made when setting up the backup. However, it now looks as if duplicate entries are created when a VSA backup is active and we also set up an agent-based backup. I found another entry with the same problem.

Regards

Thomas

Hi @thomas.S

There are some causes and things that you can do to avoid this from occurring noted in the KB article.

https://kb.commvault.com/article/63652

Check under the section “Avoiding Duplication of VM Clients”

This is one that is fairly common:

• Preserve UUID while cloning or migrating VMs so that both the older and the new backups point to a single VM client.

Hi @yukta, @Scott Reynolds

By merging the entries in Commvault the message disappeared. Thanks. I now have to read the articles carefully again to find out how this could have happened.

Thanks 

Thomas