Question

SQL Management Studio Commvault Plugin

• 11 January 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

I'm working on a POC project to enable the Commvault SQL plugin on the latest SQL Server Management Studio. I have two questions:

1. The Commvault documentation specifies SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) 18 as the supported version for the Commvault SQL plugin. Is it possible to use the current version plugin in latest SSMS 19 version?
  2. I'm unable to find a download link for the CvSQLAddInConfig.exe plugin in the documentation. Could you please provide the reference for downloading it?

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@Rajarajan

as described here - https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/enabling_commvault_plug_in_on_sql_management_studio.html

You can enable or disable the Commvault Plug-in on the SQL Management Studio by running the CvSQLAddInConfig executable file in the Software_Installation_Directory/Base directory.

Badge +1

@Gseibak  - Where does the Software_Installation_Directory/Base directory reside? We are using the Commvault web console for database restore/backup operations, so we don't have the Commvault physical tool on my laptop. Does the SSMS plugin have any dependencies on the Commvault physical tool? , i mean Commvault physical tool mandatory for this SSMS plugin requirement. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @Rajarajan 

The “Software_Installation_Directory/Base directory” is on the CommServe where the software is installed. For example: C:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore\Base

Thank you.
Collin

Badge +1

@Collin Harper - I'm still confused. I already mentioned that we're using only the Commvault web link (CommCell Console- web-based, remote-user access.) to connect to the Commvault server from the user laptop and we don't have any Commvault-related software installed on the user laptop. Is there any Commvault tool mandatory to use the SSMS plugin?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Rajarajan  The Commvault SQL Agent plugin is part of the SQL agent package. You must install the SQL agent package on the machine you want to use the plugin. This is why there is no download link. Note the machine does not need actual SQL installed just SSMS.

Once the agent is installed then you register the plugin

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/enabling_commvault_plug_in_on_sql_management_studio.html

Management Studio Version 19 is supported in 11.32 and later.

Scott

Badge +1

@Scott Reynolds - Sorry to bother you with one more question. I'm an SQL DBA trying to understand Commvault concepts. Could you please share any reference links on how to install only the SQL agent on Windows 11 machines without installing unnecessary modules?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Rajarajan The generic install docs for any Windows client are listed here:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/preinstallation_checklist_for_sql_server_agent_on_windows.html

Only thing unique here is when selecting packages to install just select. 

SQL Server package, which is under the Database category

That is all that is needed.