Skip to main content

Hello,

We run SQL server on VM’s on hyper-v.  Testing restore of master database to SQL instance; there doesn’t appear to be a way to do this through the web console, but the documentation states that this procedure would work for what we need:

Can anyone confirm restoring system databases requires the java console?  If not, can you point me in the right direction on the web gui?  I’m unable to find any advanced restore options alluded to above.

Thank you - Chris

Hello @Chris Newman 

Currently restoring of system databases is only available in the Java Console. However, the ability to perform this action in Command Center has been requested and is being discussed.

Please note that MSFT has specific restrictions when restoring individual system DBs.

There is the instance recovery option available in both CC and Console however note this restoring all Databases.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/147482_restoring_sql_server_instance.html

Thanks Scott!  We tested that and it works great if the instance is up.  I’m having issues getting that working when the master is restored from the template location, following this doc:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/57350_full_system_recovery_of_sql_server_rebuilding_master_database_quick_rebuild.html

I’m able to restore the master from the template directory, add the ‘-m’ flag on the startup properties and attempt to start the instance.  The startup doesn’t complete; it complains about the model database.  The error is strange though, we don’t have nor have ever used this directory format:

2023-08-15 16:11:23.18 spid20s     FCB::Open failed: Could not open file D:\dbs\sh\5uj5\1008_054209\cmd\11\obj\x64retail\sql\mkmastr\databases\mkmastr.nativeproj\model.mdf for file number 1.  OS error: 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).
2023-08-15 16:11:23.18 spid20s     Error: 5120, Severity: 16, State: 101.

I was thinking I could get the master back, open in single user mode then use commvault to restore the rest of the system databases (even overwriting the template master with a recent backup).  Is my understanding not correct?  We’re trying to simulate a situation where the C: drive is either intact or restored and good, but the data and logfile luns were destroyed and new, empty luns are attached.

Thanks!

@Chris Newman  That path I think is some default SQL path, if you do some searches appears various users have it referencing the same path. It sounds like MSSQL install is just failed or corrupt, etc. Which if that is not right even attempting to bring back master is going to fail.

We’re trying to simulate a situation where the C: drive is either intact or restored and good, but the data and logfile luns were destroyed…

With this I guess question is where is SQL installed? Might have to reinstall SQL then restore system DBs, etc

Thanks, that’s what we ended up doing.  Fresh install, patch, follow the original procedure then used the recover instance functionality in the command center.  Thanks!