Skip to main content

I have a CIFS SVM which will have around 50 file shares.

Right now I’m leaning towards each file share being a separate volume in ONTAP but that may not matter for this question.

1. I could have a single subclient that does \\svm\c$ and tries to grab everything
  2. I could have a single subclient that has a list of \\svm\a_specific_share_1 and \\svm\a_specific_share_2 and so on
  3. I could have 50 subclients where each one does \\svm\a_specific_share

Is there a suggested best practise or just a least headaches way of doing this please?

Some other option I haven’t considered?

With multiple UNC paths in a single subclient I’m not sure when adding/removing/editing the list of UNC paths triggers a full backup of everything because it thinks the subclient content has changed.

Whilst it’s a bit more management overhead I’m leaning towards option 3 because it seems to offer the most granularity and if I need to do a proper full backup of a specific share or there’s a problem I’m hopefully reducing the chances of needing to backup everything again.

Thank you :)

Hi Paul,

Good day!

Yes, you are right, we recommend to backup each share with a separate subclient as it offers granularity and also if there is need doing a full backup with be easier this way.

When you change the content the newly added content will be considered as new data and it will be completely covered on the next backup.

Regards,

Sureshkumar S

Sureshkumar thanks 😀  

With this is there anything built in so I could schedule all the jobs to kick off during a time window without overwhelming the system with ifind.exe processes which I believe are reasonably intensive on the destination NAS?

Ideally I just want (for example) subclients “from 7pm onwards” but they don’t need to all run in parallel.

Can you specify how many concurrent backups to run?