Skip to main content

We have our Commserve and Media agents running Windows 2019 Server Standard Edition.

We have MySql 2014 and would like to go to MySql 2019

We would like to upgrade commvault 11.26.27 to 2022E(LTS) version

What are our best options?

Thanks

Larry

Hi @lgriswold 

I am assuming you mean MS SQL, rather than MySQL. 

Two approaches I would recommend:

New Server for the Commserve.

The assumption here is your CS is a VM and you have capacity.

Download the latest 2022E Media Pack and MR and upgrade your existing platform to 2022E. 

Provision a new VM and run a new installation from the 2022E media pack which will install SQL 2019. You will be prompted during the install if you have an existing CS DR Set - At this point suspend activity on the production Commserve, take  DR Backup, copy it across to the new server and provide the path to the installer. Make sure you stop and disable services on the ‘old’ Commserve] allow the install to restore the database and carry on. I cant recall if the installer will run a name change operation for you or if you have to do that as a post install task. 

Same Server for the Commserve.

Download the latest 2022E Media Pack and MR and upgrade your existing platform to 2022E

Take a DR backup and store it away safely. 

Uninstall all the Commvault and SQL components. 

Reinstall the Commserve software - this will include SQL2019 - and provide the path to the DR set during the installation. Allow the install to restore the database and carry on. (No name change required).

In both cases, it sounds scarier than it actually is - if you have an isolated environment you can run through the process off line as a test and/or to familiarise yourself. 

I can hear one of my colleagues in my ear telling me that you can just run a SQL upgrade but … It isn't a recommended or (CV) supported approach and you will have old bits of SQL remaining installed. 

HTH

Niall

Thanks Niall,  I am looking into the second approach (same server) you mentioned.   We do have MS SQL 2014.

I will add a post when we complete the upgrade.

Regards,

Larry

Hi Niall, we did the upgrade to the Commserve and the Media agents.   We are are 11.28.48.  I have not done the client yet.   A full DR Backup was done.

Do we have to remove Commvault from the Media agents also.

Regards, Larry

Only on the Commserve - the point is that by uninstalling Commvault and SQL, when you re-install the software, it will re-install the SQL and the current media includes SQL2019.

I would also recommend downloading and installing the latest Cumulative Updates for SQL 2019 too. 

Niall. 

Upgrade was successful, thanks for your help on this.

Regards, Larry