Skip to main content

Hi all,

we want to use SAN mode for backing up VMs. Although we have followed the same steps, only one datastore (LUN) is visible/mapped. Do you have any idea how to troubleshoot this issue further? Below there is an output from VMFSSanInfo tool:

Hi @drPhil ,

You need to make sure they are mounted properly. I have reproduced it in my lab, many years ago 😅.

If the Datastore is initialized in GPT on VSA Proxy before creating the VMFS in Vmware, it will have one allocation unit Partition and you will not see them. see attached doc.

Also did you check our Doc:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/32040_san_transport_for_vmware.html

Did you rescan or restarted the VSA Proxy?

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Thank you @Sebastien Merluzzi for sharing your experience as it could be helpful for the future. Unfortunately, we were not able to set up SAN mode for VMware backup, although we tried a lot things to change and investigate. Therefore we decided to use NBD or Hotadd mode.

if the Windows operating system is not detecting the DataStores as disks then from the CommVualt side neither. Aside from zoning the server you need to map/mount the datastores to the host (physical VSA server) from storage console

Hi @drPhil ,

I believe Vmware should be able to help you with the configuration.

Best Regards,

Sebastien