Question

VSA backkup and file system agent backup -space utlization

• 16 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +13

i have file server where i am taking full vsa backup (included all drives)and for the same server am taking file system agent backup only for some drives ,

does it consume double space from my storage ? will the deduplication work well with two type of backup 

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Ajal,

Since the VSA backup is Block Level (VM Disk Image Level) and the FS backup is File Level, I suspect that these both will be consuming capacity.

With Deduplication the space consumed will be less, you can see this by looking at the Savings % or comparing the “Application Size” to the “Data Written” size.

Best Regards,

Michael

Userlevel 1
Badge +13

@MichaelCapon  thank you, what do you think of backing up with both vsa and file system , is it good or not needed ?

It so not needed as deduplication DBs are separate for both types of agents, so from backup storage point of view it’s just a waste of space. Some customers are backing up the OS drive with the FS backup whilst the data drives with VSA backups…

Userlevel 1
Badge +13

@Jacek Piechucki  i dont think thats the case, for file server restore operation mainly frequent restored its always better to take file system agent level backup.this is wat commvault recommending i beilieve 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Ajal ,

It would depend on your needs. Would you normally need to just restore full drives or to access the file system and restore independent files?

Even having a VSA only backup should allow you to restore independent drives from the VM, but the operation will take a bit longer since the drive will need to be restored and mount in order to access the files.

The FS iDA will give you that extra flexibiility.

It really depends on your needs.

I believe you already know how you’d like to back up the data. Yes, you’ll use more space in the backup storage running two types of backups.

It really depends on your needs.

Could not agree more:)