Question

What does JobManager Event 19:1962 mean? "Redirecting to the data storage policy[String] of the online full backup[Number]."

• 20 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

on commvault v11.28.  We had this occur in a transaction log backup after a Full Oracle DB backup ran.  Its a “Major” severity, and I have never seen this error before and cannot find anything that describes “ok, what do I do with this/what does it mean/what causes it”.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@tigger2 

When I research that message, I get given a link to this article: https://documentation.commvault.com/2023/expert/selective_online_full_backups.html

This states:

• The data and archive logs use the data storage policy that you define on the subclient. Selective online full backups ignore the log storage policy that you define on the instance.

So I believe that this event appears to be notifying you that this is happening (as it may be unexpected as it’s technically running a ‘full’ now and not just an incremental/archive log backup), however I find it strange this is showing as ‘major’ event… 

It’s not necessarily an error in my opinion (if my understanding is correct), moreso an FYI.

Are you able to confirm if this appears to be the case (as in, it’s done a full not an incremental/t-log)?

Regards,

Chris

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Sorry for the late reply :)

I looked into it and it appears that it was telling me that a transaction was running long (or maybe it was paused at some point?” and another tried to run and could not.  I usually don’t get notifications for Filesystem backups when this occurs, so maybe its special case for MSSQL, and it did more behind the scenes and triggered something.  but yeah, it looks like an FYI, just one I have never seen before.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

No issues @tigger2

Good to know! Was the event not for Oracle? 

If it was SQL and not Oracle, I’d say it’s major because it’s SQL… and if T-LOG backups continue to fail or hang, you could run out of disk space on the SQL Server as the log isn’t being truncated.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/backup-restore/back-up-a-transaction-log-sql-server?view=sql-server-ver16

If a database uses either the full or bulk-logged recovery model, you must back up the transaction log regularly enough to protect your data, and to prevent the transaction log from filling. This truncates the log and supports restoring the database to a specific point in time.

CV article for reference: 

https://documentation.commvault.com/2024/expert/backing_up_sql_transaction_logs.html

Each time a transaction log is backed up, the transaction log is truncated to the exact time of the backup operation and releases the inactive virtual log files for reuse. However, the truncation does not reduce the size of a physical log file.

​​​​​​​Regards,

Chris

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

It was for a Oracle backup (my bad I see I said MSSQL above) on a single server and it appears to have just happened one time so transaction logs have not been backing up on disk ( our DBA’s and space monitoring would have caught it by now as both monitor for disk space/issues).