Question

How to Filter vmware VMs by an IP range

• 8 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hello - 

Windows environment Commvault 11.28.107.

For a vcenter client Im having a difficulty in trying to filter VMs by an IP range.   Is this even possible.  Thanks in advance

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @bc1410 

Thanks for the great question!
You can achieve this by using the custom attribute as outlined in the following: 
https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/essential/creating_vm_group_for_vmware.html

But i ask the question why you would want to do it by an IP range? 

I feel that using Tagging would be a cleaner and safer solution then using an IP range. 

Hope this helps!

Kind regards
Albert Williams

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Thanks Albert.

I still consider myself a rookie with commvault.  I will take a look at the link you provided to see if I can get this completed.   The reason for just using IPs instead of Tags is hopefully just a temporary task as we are moving our VM backups from netbackup to commvault.  So if I was to use the tag “test” for example it would most likely pull other VMs other then the approved VMs to be moved to the commvault environment for backups etc..

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @bc1410 

Thanks for the extra details. As long as you are using a unique tag it should not collect any VM’s that are not approved. 

Either way using tags will be a lot better than IP range as they are more dynamic and subject to collection of incorrect VM’s during the discovery. Tags are static.

Kind regards
Albert Williams