Question

2023E release - safe to upgrade?

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Morning folks,

I can see that 2023E has been released (Commvault Platform Release 2023E)

According to the document versions suffixed with E are LTS versions however 2023E is listed as a “Technology preview” on ma.commvault.com

Am I safe to upgrade to 2023E? Is this a Long Term Support (LTS) version??

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Ho @KevinDodd ,

Tech Preview is the status given to any new Feature Release for the first 60 days, then it becomes public release.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/essential/2619_platform_release_schedule_and_lifecycles.html

It is LTS:

So if you don’t need to upgrade you can wait for the Public Release in August.

Best Regards,

Sebastien merluzzi

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Regardless of a LTS or non-LTS it is best to wait until the release gets the GA status before upgrading your production environment. For new installation you could consider picking it. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I’ll be deploying it in my lab just to get a look / feel for it, but I’ll wait until it’s been out in GA for a while before I deploy into production (unless there’s a pressing feature).

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Thanks all - that’s a shame!

We’re really keen to use the VMWare restore to AWS using EBS API!

I’ll hold back until August.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@KevinDodd I think this is already possible with FR30 → https://documentation.commvault.com/2023/essential/145948_vm_conversion_using_ebs_direct_apis.html

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Is 11.30 safe to upgrade to? We’re currently running 2022E which does support EBS Direct but only for MBR volumes

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Well I can't make any promises here that you will not run into issues, but it is available for some time now. All our production environments run FR30 for some time now. Yes, we have had many tickets during the first months and still have a few outstanding. I would say if you are not using server plans (with Sybase) than it's fine to move over the FR30 with the latest maintenance release. Do mind it doesn't matter if it is a LTS or non-LTS release when it comes to the stability that you can expect. A LTS release just means that version will be supported for a longer period of time, that's it. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Well I can't make any promises here that you will not run into issues, but it is available for some time now. All our production environments run FR30 for some time now. Yes, we have had many tickets during the first months and still have a few outstanding. I would say if you are not using server plans (with Sybase) than it's fine to move over the FR30 with the latest maintenance release. Do mind it doesn't matter if it is a LTS or non-LTS release when it comes to the stability that you can expect. A LTS release just means that version will be supported for a longer period of time, that's it. 

Interesting, so FR30 is still in support its just not supported for as long as a LTS release.

So what is the difference between FR30 and 2023E? (just for my knowledge!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

There is no difference as FR30 == platform release 2023. Previously a platform release was called a feature release and although from a marketing perspective they talk about a platform release, but internally as also seen in the version naming, it is referred to as a feature release. 

This version was released in January.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I see - thanks for your help @Onno van den Berg - much appreciated.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@KevinDodd ,

No matter which version you upgrade to, they all have been tested.

However we cannot confirm if you are going to have issues.

You will be supported and we will troubleshoot & fix any issues you have.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Just info:

Do not update to version 11.30 or 11.32 (drama inside)