Solved

Could not connect to the DeDuplication Database process for Store Id

• 12 April 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hi, 

I am facing error regarding connection to DeDuplication Database. It can be caused by many reason but my specific problem is that the directory with DDB is locked for write. This was confirmed by SIDBEngine.log and simply you cannot create folder in DDB folder.

Status of DDB is ONLINE. I can freely read from it, I can freely travers through it, I can copy the folder to different place and here I can create files/folders inside without limit. There is no way to manage from CMV - it is not possible to backup, restore, seal, verify etc. I cannot move the partition. It seems as Windows/Hardware problem but….

I checked windows logs - no events from disk, scsi etc.

I checked filesystem - all looks fine

I checked hardware events (it is HPE server, so iLO log, IML log, I checked smart array status)

It seems that it is limited only to this DDB folder. On the same drive, same volume, different directory all working as usual. So there is no write protection on drive or volume level (checked by diskpart)

I tried to unlock it using attrib command, passed but no result. Also reboot and stopped services was tested.

As workaround I firstly created new DDB to different folder, created new storage policy and completely convert all jobs to this new policy. One day was this working like a charm but next backup cycle again - this new DDB locked for write and again DDB inaccesible.

At this moment I must backup only with disabled deduplication on storage policies (so DDB ommited)

I have version 11.26.15 with latest patches.

Somebody else with this issue?

Many thanks for reply Michal

icon

Best answer by Aplynx 12 April 2022, 15:38

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Michal Dolezal 

This looks very strange, of course, to have a new DDB starting to work as usual, then suddenly not accessible and not usable.

Do you have only MediaAgent role deployed on this windows server, or other like VSA, Commserve, indexing, report… ?

What is the status of Ransomware protection on this server ?

Also, have you ensured that the DDB folder(s) are effectively excluded from any antivirus scanner/realtime scan / EDR or XDR tool ?

As that’s a windows server, through Resource Monitor/Disk activity, checking the path of your ddb, you should be able to see if there are processes trying to access it.. If not, then you can also dig deeper using ProcessExplorer, 

You can also try to check the *SIDB* logs for suspect/error messages..

Laurent.

Badge +1

yes, only MA is the one on CMV server

And thanks for mentioning Anti-ransomware protection. I disabled it on Media agent and it seems that this resolved problem with the directory.

But this seems to be bug because we are not facing any ransomware attack or similar thing and we exclude all paths related to CMV from AV solution. 

I will investigate this behavior deeply to get appropriate information for future and will post here.

So thanks for kick :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I’m glad the root cause is identified. Now, Anti-ransomware protection is a good trick, so it should be active on the MAs. So it could be a bug or issue on this release in your environment.

You can always raise a case to the Support to feed them with your case, and help solving the bug if it’s one 👍

Userlevel 6
Badge +13
DDB Backup may fail if ransomware protection is enabled on DDB paths

Fixed in 26.18; update 2732

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/assets/service_pack/updates/11_26_18.htm

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Thanks for this update @Aplynx