Is the Offline Mining Tool compatible with Exchange 2019?
Unfortunately I cannot use the live browse as the backup is performed on a VTL library. With Exchange 2013 it works fine. Now when I try to open the restored DB (Exchange 2019) I see the following errors:
Best answer by Stuart Painter
Thanks for the question.
It looks like DBs for Exchange Server 2007 - 2013 are supported: Preinstallation Checklist for the Exchange Offline Mining Tool
Supported Exchange Server Versions
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 to 2013.
However, there are a number of support cases related to this issue, so I’ll add some troubleshooting steps in here just to see if these help.
Please confirm the pre-requisites have been met from Recovering Messages from an Offline Exchange Database
Before You Begin
- Make sure that the MediaAgent is prepared for recovering messages.
- The Exchange database must be restored out of place to a MediaAgent.
- If the location where the Exchange database is restored is a network share, then the Active Directory computer account for the MediaAgent must have write access to that location.
- Ensure that the .edb file, ese.dll file, eseutil.exe file, and exchmem.dll file are in the same folder.
If not, create a new folder and place all the files in this folder. Then, create an additional setting sEseLocation, and set its value as the new folder path.
- To restore messages to a mailbox, set the Exchange server details and Exchange service account details.
Preinstallation Checklist for the Exchange Offline Mining Tool suggests Visual C++ Redistributable may also be required to read and interpret the .dll files.
Preconfigure the Exchange Server
For installing the Exchange Offline Mining Tool on Exchange 2013, perform the following:
- Install Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012. For more information, see Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012.
- If you installed Exchange Server 2013 SP1 (minimum) or a later service pack, download the appropriate Microsoft Security Advisory Package as described in the Microsoft Support article "Microsoft Security Advisory: Insecure library loading could allow remote code execution": http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2533623. Install the package on the same client where the Exchange Offline Mining Tool is installed.