Proactive Support - A synthetic full started after incremental may get stuck in job controller and cannot be killed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Good day all!  sharing this proactively in case you encounter this issue.  Any questions, post below!

Issue

A synthetic full started after incremental may get stuck in job controller and cannot be killed.

Evidence of the issue can be observed on the Commserve in Jobmanager.log.

CommServe\JobManager.log

Servant [---- SCHEDULED SYNTHETIC FULL REQUEST ----], taskid [x] Clnt[Name] AppType[x] BkpSet[Name] SubClnt[default] BkpLevel[Synthetic Full] (old job [x])
JobSvr Obj Skipping reference time check for SynthFull job.
JobSvr Obj Skipping reference time check for SynthFull job.
JobSvr Obj Another backup [x] started running before this synthetic full could start to run, failing this synth full job.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
####### createSynthFullBackupFromIncr doJobInitializationChecks failed.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Scheduler Another backup [x] started running in parallel before this synthetic full could start to run, failing this job.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
createSynthFullBackupFromIncr marked the job submission status as complete.\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Resolution

To resolve the issue, apply the HotFix related to your Feature Release on the Commserve. 

At this link, download the respective hotfix for the version your CommServe is running on or install the indicated Maintenance Release.

Feature Release 20 - Hotfix 3902 which is now available in Maintenance Release 53
Feature Release 21 - Hotfix 2826 which is now available in Maintenance Release 41
Feature Release 22 - Hotfix 2829 which is now available in Maintenance Release 25
Feature Release 23 - Hotfix 2584 which is now available in Maintenance Release 9

The update needs to be installed on the CommServe only.
You may need to cycle the Job Manager Service on the CommServe one more time if the synthetic full backups aren't behaving.

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

lol, now you are saying this, after I found it out myself  :grinning:

tnx

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sorry, @Bart :joy: I’ll try and be faster to the presses next time!

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

:nerd::relieved::stuck_out_tongue:

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

All jokes aside, thanks for posting this. This is really helpfull, and helps a lot of people.
I wish I saw the same for another bug where restore of windows machine won’t work when using 1touch/virtualize me. Because of that (known) bug, it took us a week to get a machine operational, and if we knew about that bug in that release we could have been operational the same day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Appreciate that @Bart!  We will definitely be sharing more Proactive issues here to save you trouble and time :sunglasses:

Badge

I have this problem too. None of these hotfixes seem to be listed in the any maintenance release notes. Which MR actually has this HF or do I need to apply this HF regardless of MR used? Currently we’re at 11.22.22 but will be going to 11.23 soon.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hey Mike

This is an excellent post and has saved me what was probably hours of digging work.  I love this community. Lovely work my friend.

Regards 

Tony Q :smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Glad to hear it, @TonyQ !!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@atkscott , for now we have these Hotfixes.  The MR forms are still in the queue for full release (no listed release yet, I just looked) which is why they are not in the notes, yet.

The form ID for SP16 is 3493 (the others are listed, but do not have form IDs yet).  We can always check the associated forms for other MRs with a form ID and its associated SP/MR if you want to follow up at any point.

For now, I would apply the HotFix.

Badge

OK thanks Mike.

One last question, does the hotfix need to be replied after a MR is applied or is once enough?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Yes, if you upgrade to another MR, you’ll have to reapply the new one.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

(Updated link above and Maintenance Release numbers)

At this link, download the respective hotfix for the version your CommServe is running on or install the indicated Maintenance Release.

Feature Release 20 - Hotfix 3902 which is now available in Maintenance Release 53
Feature Release 21 - Hotfix 2826 which is now available in Maintenance Release 41
Feature Release 22 - Hotfix 2829 which is now available in Maintenance Release 25
Feature Release 23 - Hotfix 2584 which is now available in Maintenance Release 9

The update needs to be installed on the CommServe only.

You may need to cycle the Job Manager Service on the CommServe one more time if the synthetic full backups aren't behaving as expected.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

The same issue has occurred on 11.28.49

Patching to 11.28.52 ‘appears’ to have fixed the problem - Though I’ll update this note over the next 1-2 days

Same issues occurring

FAILED TO RUN TASK ; If it was manually triggered.

And the task scheduler failed to run the ‘job’ though the errors were buried in the event logs and the TASKMANAGER.LOG

and no efforts to had any effect

---change the SYNTH FULL schedules 

-- Modifying the schedule, eg removing the Synth Full and adding a new Synth full etc would change the behaviour, etc