Solved

Renaming backup files

• 15 July 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

Hello… 

Can we automatically rename backup sets in Commvault? Or is this something that can be scripted?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by DR92 15 July 2021, 13:41

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hey @RTM , what do you mean by automatically ? Does it have to be some kind of a task that gets run after a backup completes ? You can always manually rename backupsets, if that doesn't serve your purpose you could make use of a qcommand and add it to a Post Backup script.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Thanks

Dhiwakar

Badge +3

Hi Dhiwakar. 

Thank you for your response.

Yes. The customer said that it must be run after backup. I guess we have to suggest putting a script to it to “automate it”. My question is, say I need to go back to the renamed backup to restore a file or VM, will CV recognize that renamed file as the restore source?

Regards,

Rommel

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Sorry @RTM , this part is a little difficult for me to understand

My question is, say I need to go back to the renamed backup to restore a file or VM, will CV recognize that renamed file as the restore source?

So you want to revisit a renamed backup ? Did you mean backupset ? 

You also mention a renamed file, I’m unable to understand where the renamed file comes into picture in this scenario, could you please give me the scenario in terms of steps or describe it some other way ? 

Badge +3

Yes, a renamed backup set.

For example, my backup set is called backupA, and renamed it to backupA1. For some reason I need to restore a file from backupA (which is now named backupA1), can I search the renamed backup set for the file I need to restore from the Commcell console?

Thanks, Dhiwakar.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Yes, that should be possible so long as you refer to it  using the new name.

Badge +3

Thank you @DR92!