Solved

What is CvDiagnostics and why does it work by itself?

• 2 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi Fellas,

Sometimes I see CvDiagnostics.log under the Commvault log directory and it says that a lot of information about the server is collected in the log. CvDiagnostics ran once, maximizing server CPU and causing application interruption. Why is this process running automatically?

Best Regards.

icon

Best answer by Cheyenne Jarvis 2 June 2021, 17:02

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @0ber0n 

When performing an upload of log files for a client machine, CVDiagnostics is launched on the client to collect information about the system which is included in the log file upload. CVDiagnostics.log is used to troubleshoot log file collection errors/issues from the client side.

If your CommCell is enabled for Remote Log Collection, support engineers are able to request log files for client machines within your environment associated to the support incident in which they are working on so this is a reason it may be launched if not by a user within your environment.

Did you have a support incident raised for the high CPU utilization and interruption this has caused in the past? We would want to review this further as CVDiagnostics should not be causing a performance issue.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @0ber0n 

When performing an upload of log files for a client machine, CVDiagnostics is launched on the client to collect information about the system which is included in the log file upload. CVDiagnostics.log is used to troubleshoot log file collection errors/issues from the client side.

If your CommCell is enabled for Remote Log Collection, support engineers are able to request log files for client machines within your environment associated to the support incident in which they are working on so this is a reason it may be launched if not by a user within your environment.

Did you have a support incident raised for the high CPU utilization and interruption this has caused in the past? We would want to review this further as CVDiagnostics should not be causing a performance issue.

Hope this helps!

Hi @Cheyenne Jarvis ,

Thanks for the reply.

Our CommCell does not go to the internet and we did not collect any logs as admins.
The CPU utilization problem I mentioned happened maybe 1 month ago, but today when I wanted to check cvd.log under the log folder of a Linux client, I saw that CvDiagnostic.log was up-to-date and working by itself.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Hi @0ber0n 

Thank you for the additional details. Are you able to share the CVDiagnostic.log from the client to check what is taking place with this process or share the latest log lines from the log of the most recent activity? This would help determine what is running at present (or earlier when this was noticed).

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @Cheyenne Jarvis actually, I did CV uninstall-install after seeing this situation. For this reason, unfortunately, there is no log that I can share. If it happens again I will update the topic.

Best Regards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@0ber0n , I marked @Cheyenne Jarvis ‘s answer as the Best Answer, though if this happens again and you reply, I can always un-mark it :nerd: