Solved

Backing up external clients with no DNS service

• 4 June 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

We have a multi-tenant environment running on vSphere 7, backing up to Commvault 11.21 with VSA. Some of the tenant networks have no DNS service. Some of them have no domain, only Windows workgroups. Some of the tenant VMs without DNS require agent backups.

I know we can work around this with host file entries on the client, and substituting client IP addresses for client FQDN on the CommServe. We want a more permanent solution that allows us to migrate the CommServe and MediaAgents without needing to update host files.

If I deploy a Commvault Network Proxy Appliance to each tenant network, what hostnames and IP addresses will still need to be resolved? Does the client then only need to forward- and reverse-lookup the network proxy? 

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 4 June 2021, 07:55

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @maxwells_demon 

Thank you for the question.

In theory, the client will only need to resolve the proxy appliance name and IP with further routing and resolution being done by the proxy.

Network route configuration will need to be setup to direct all client traffic via the proxy.

The proxy will of course need up to date hosts file to resolve the clients and will need to be maintained should any new clients be added or existing clients IP addressing change in future.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Thank you Stuart. That answers my question and it’s always nice to hear good news.