Solved

VM backup issue after upgrading to 11.28.107.

• 18 February 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +4

I have 2 FREL’s in my environment and we use this FREL as VSA proxies as well to share the load between other 2 VSA proxies. After upgrading this FREL’s to 11.28.107, we see VM backups fails with the error “The virtual machine [] did not pass the disk size validation. If this issue persists, please contact your vendor support hotline”.

I have VCenter level configuration for VM backups and I have 7-8 Subclient and each subclient have 15-20 VM’s in it.

When the backup get triggers for this subclient as per schedule, at least 6-7 VM’s fails with this disk size validation issue. Once this VM’s fails, I re trigger them one by one and backup completes without and issue.

Can someone tell me, what can be done to resolve this issue completely.

icon

Best answer by kiran 20 February 2024, 05:55

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @kiran 

Thanks for the great question!

This issue can occur if more than one .vmdk file has the same UUID. Please have the VMware admins check if one or more of the VMs disks have the same UUID. If so, change the UUID using the steps in the following VMware KB article: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1021189

Please advise if this helps and remember to mark the question as answered if it has been. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Badge +4

Sure, I will check with my VMWare team.

But I see that the VM backups for all the servers complete one day and other day it fails for few VM with this issue. Kind of like alternate days.

One day it does complete without any errors and the other day will fail with this error.

This is happening in both prod and non-prod environment.

I had same FREL, when I was in the version 11.20 and didn’t face this issue, but after upgrading the FREL to 11.28, the issue started.

Badge +4

Sorry it was not answered. I clicked it by mistake.

Please provide an update on the question I asked.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @kiran 

If you backups are actively being interrupted we are going to need to do a deeper dive into the issue and that would require a support ticket. I don’t have much more insight i can provide with the information provided, sorry. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams