Solved

VMWare backup copy history doesn't show media copied

• 11 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hello Guys;

Let me explain what it happens to me on the commserve environment. I have vmware backup tape backups but on the job history for those backups i can't see in which media the backup copies were copied, i can only see where the primary snap are saved.

To be able to see those tape backups copies I have to go to all the way to the storage policy and select the option tape and select view jobs and select all the servers to see in which media they were copied.

Is there a way to solved the little issue??

By the way i have version 11.20.60 of commserve. 

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 13 August 2021, 16:59

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

There should be a column in the job history which shows if the job was backup copied - and if you click view media on the job, it should also show you the tape media associated with it (I don't have an environment in-front of me to verify right now but I believe this is the case)

The job summary report also has a filter for backup copies:

• Backup Copy Work Flow

The Backup Copy Job Summary Report provides a summary of the snap to media jobs for each client.

Media may be there too but not completely sure.

Is there any particular reason why you wanted to see which media the jobs are on?

Badge +2

Hi Damian,

If you see this first picture, this is the subclient for the A Pool , as you can see on the column move snap to media says “not applicable”. 

And this when i go to the storage policies for the particular pool, i select the jobs for the servers that are inside of the volume and i can get the information about the media which the backup were copied.

The real reason of my questions its because as backup admin this process take myself to much time when i have to find all the medias for the entire infrastructure, cause as a company we still use magnetic tapes and every week we have to send them to a secure location.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Montilla04 , quick question: 

what is your overall goal?

It sounds like you want to have better insight into which tapes need to go offsite (and when).  Is that about right?

Have you looked into Vault Tracker?  That’s exactly what this tool does.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=10271.htm

Badge +2

Hey @Montilla04 , quick question: 

what is your overall goal?

It sounds like you want to have better insight into which tapes need to go offsite (and when).  Is that about right?

Have you looked into Vault Tracker?  That’s exactly what this tool does.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=10271.htm

Thanks Mike

This feature help me to find all the media.