PowerBI to Commvault Integration

Badge +1

Need assistance on how do we integrate POWERBI with Commvault for custom reporting.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Pratik Chaudhari !  Thanks for the thread.

After reading your pm, I remembered that we had a topic for this, and got some good responses from our reporting documentation master:

The short version is that we mostly have access to the database locked down, but you can use APIs to get the data (and the how-to is covered in the above thread).

Take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

I’m going to resurrect this for selfish purposes. 

I am attempting to use commvault report data to import to powerbi and the question I have is what Key should I use?

Is there a way to generate a semi-permanent api key so I can do refreshes against the report dataset?

Essentially I am making environmental changes and if I can get this work, I can get close to real time updates on the progress of the changes I am making.

Thanks.

Chris.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@christopherlecky , I found the thread this was discussed (and answered by dev):

I can’t tell you WHEN it will be out, but his reply is in the thread above.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Awesome, I will see what I need to do to track it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

@Pratik Chaudhari ,

I now understand the issue that you are running into. 

The important thing to understand is that what is being returned by the rest api is a dataset.

You then have to parse the dataset in Powerbi

I have to do the same thing, once I figure it out I will make a howto post.

In the interim you may find this useful 

Thanks.

Chris.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Before 5 years when such requirement came to me, I just added the Power BI user ID to Commvault’s DB security logins. Created the required report template in BI and it started populating those reports that are required

Badge +1

@Ramkumar Giridaran Can you please elaborate steps to achieve this? 

Badge +2

Before 5 years when such requirement came to me, I just added the Power BI user ID to Commvault’s DB security logins. Created the required report template in BI and it started populating those reports that are required

@Ramkumar Giridaran Please do provide steps on how to go about integration to commvault?

Badge +1

@Uchenna Upgrade Commserve to 11.30 (2023) and use rest api datasets to connect with Commvault reports using AuthToken

Badge +2

@Uchenna Upgrade Commserve to 11.30 (2023) and use rest api datasets to connect with Commvault reports using AuthToken

@SGMak thank you for your feedback.

However, I am on the dataset rest api
How do I proceed from here?

Badge +1

@Uchenna 

Please follow the BOL:

Datasets:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023/essential/115048_rest_apis_for_reports.html

Create Acceess token: https://documentation.commvault.com/2023/essential/153488_access_tokens_for_rest_apis_01.html