Solved

Changing Web Console IP Address for Management VLAN Integration

• 15 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Our network and security team have proposed the creation of a new Management VLAN within our Internal LAN, with the intention of consolidating all Management/ILO's into it. As part of this initiative, I am considering changing the IP address of the Commvault web console to align with the new Management VLAN.

Before proceeding, I would greatly appreciate insights from the community on the following points:

1. Is it common practice to change the web console IP address to integrate with a new Management VLAN?
  2. The recommended steps or procedures for executing this change safely and efficiently.
  3. Any potential risks or complications that I should be aware of before proceeding with the change.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by HolowEd 16 April 2024, 14:38

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

@Waleed Al Mansori ,

It it not common practice to have the Command Center/Webconsole on a management network. As this is usually needed to be accessed by admin staff and users alike depending on what features are being used.

Regards,

Edward J Holowienka

Badge +1

Thank you @HolowEd for your prompt response. The accessibility for admin staff and users is key factor here, but this rise a security implications of allowing the web console with internet access. As you know, the web console being accessible from the internet poses significant security risks, including potential exposure to external threats and unauthorized access.

To address these concerns, Any recommendations on best practices to mitigate these risks and enhancing the security of the web console while maintaining necessary accessibility.

Thank you.

Waleed

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

@Waleed Al Mansori ,

We have many customer’s that have users outside of the environment that access Command Center/Webconsole remotely. Most of them place the CommandCenter/Webconsole machine in a DMZ so that users can access the machine there. You will find steps for configuring this located in our documentation here.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/essential/configure_network_settings_for_multi_tenant_commcell_environment_01.html

Regards,

Edward J Holowienka