Solved

Best practice for Virtualisation hypervisor

Badge +2
In my environnent I want to separate production from development, what are the best practices regarding hypervisors, one for production and another for development or anything...For Azure VM backup
icon

Best answer by Michael Mancino 16 May 2023, 21:13

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @srancourt,

Thanks for reaching out on the Metallic community! 

So you have a few different options in reference to your question, in regard to managing Metallic as a solution, 

In a scenario where you have 2 separate Azure VM instances, it would be best to configure them separately leveraging the following link: Configuring Backups for Microsoft Azure Virtual Machines. Alternatively, on the configuring backups link, you have the option to leverage tags within Azure, and then define content by tags.

However, in a scenario where you have a mixed environment and your production virtual machines and your development virtual machines are under the same Azure instance, you can leverage this link: Managing VM Group Content for Azure and set up multiple VM groups.

Thanks,

Mike

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi, Separate VM Groups with separate backup Plans (to have different backup retention and schedule) should be just fine. As Mike mentioned, you can create VM Group association based on rules, like names, tags, resource groups etc. or simply select the VMs you want to manually. 

If you are planning to back up hundreds of VMs, it would be more efficient to group them into smaller VM Groups.

Just in case, please remember to use different Azure Hypervisors for different Azure regions to provide better efficiency. 

Badge +2

OK Thanks, but when i create the  Azure app for the hypervisor, i use 

Management group
Ressource group
or Subscription

The best for me is the management group but when i try to configure is not work

In ressource group i have more than 200 different ressource group, is not possible at this level.

Thanks for your help

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

If you are running in single Azure region you can use single Azure Hypervisor, it’s called Cloud Account during “Configure Microsoft Azure Hypervisor” guide.

There must be separate Azure Hypervisor / Cloud Account created for each subscription you are using, each AZ HV is tied to single subscription and can list only VMs for that subscription. 

Then each Azure Hypervisor / Cloud Account, can protect multiple VMs under VM Groups from given subscription. 

Azure APP is something different, Configuring Backups for Microsoft Azure Virtual Machines (metallic.io) it works at root level and must have proper privileges assigned for each subscription where you want to have VMs protected, to be able to work properly. 

Badge +2

In my tenant i have 20 subscription, for backup i need 20 hypervisor or ???

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi ! 

I’m not sure it has been confirmed or not.

@srancourt are you using/plan to use Metallic ? 

Or just Commvault ?

Then, I can answer if you don’t use Metallic, if you have 20 subscriptions, yes, you would have to create 20 hypervisor clients.

As an example, if you have ‘Production1’, ‘Production2’, ‘Production3’ , ‘test’, ‘dev’, ‘qual’, subscriptions, then you will have to create ‘Production1’, ‘Production2’, ‘Production3’ , ‘test’, ‘dev’, ‘qual’  hypervisor clients.

Badge +2

Yes i use Metallic

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

OK, so, sorry, I let the Metallic experts answer your question 😊

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

In my tenant i have 20 subscription, for backup i need 20 hypervisor or ???

In my case it was required:

• so, Metallic Azure APP was configured with proper privileges for both Azure subscriptions.
  • There was in place hypervisor configured for subscription A where I wasn’t able to list VMs from subscription B.
  • I’ve created new Azure hypervisor where I was able only to list VMs from subscription B, but these from subscription A wasn’t discovered there.
  • It’s due to providing subscription ID during hypervisor creator, it seems that hypervisor is tied to that subscription only then.

After that under HV_A you can add multiple VM Groups based on what you wish, to cover all VMs from subscription A 

under HV_B, all for subscription B etc.