Solved

Metallic - Allow owners to enable data encryption - what is it?

• 9 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

I’m currently trying Metallic and I would like to be able to let our MSP to do full managed services for us. That said, we would like to be able to insure the MSP admin are unable to access the data. I saw the option “Prevent admin access to company data” but we were more envisioning the use of an encryption key. In the company settings, there is that section called “Allow owners to enable data encryption” which may be aligned with what we would like but I can’t find any information on it. I activated it but I don’t see any change anywhere in the other section like plan or servers so I have no clue what it does and how to use it.

I also saw in the security/key management servers that we can configure a KMS or a passphrase which, once set, is not visible anymore. I tried to activate the passphrase which seems to work but I don’t think that would deny the MSP admin to access our data. I think it kind of just replace the automatically generated encryption key by the passphrase I’ve put. But again, I’m unable to find any documentation about this section in documentation.metallic.io. Is there any good documentation I could read to understand what it does and why it could be useful?

Thank you.

ehfortin

icon

Best answer by DMCVault 11 March 2022, 14:37

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hello @ehfortin , and welcome to our community!

The Prevent admin access to company data option is exactly what you are looking for.  Let’s start with that option and how it works:

You can enable privacy for your company so that the CommCell administrator cannot view or download your company data. For example, if you are a tenant administrator, you can enable privacy for your company so that the MSP (Managed Service Provider) administrator cannot access your data.

This is a convenient, top level setting that will solve your concern in one shot.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/97917_preventing_administrators_from_accessing_company_data.html

I’m going to reach out to our documentation team about the Allow owners to enable data encryption option docs, though this allows customers to encrypt their data if they so choose.  Based on your need, you want to ensure that no one can read tenant data except the tenant, and you’d then be dependent on each server/app being encrypted and having to set this going forward, etc.

Edit: I found the page.  the setting is referred to as privacy, not encryption.  Working with the docs team to ensure this is all on the Metallic docs site as well!

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/essential/97847_privacy.html

It’s a nice feature, but not really scalable for your use case.  I would suggest going for the first option which will protect you in one easy step for good.

Let me know if this helps!

Badge

Hi @ehfortin, who is the MSP you are working with on this?  I can work to provide some additional guidance for you.

Badge +2

Hi @Justin_ ,

Actually, I asked the question as one of our prospect customer did as I was unable to find the information. We are looking to offer this customer a subscription to Metallic and they want us to manage their backup. So, for the backup, we will be their MSP but we won’t be the Metallic MSP as we are not configured yet to do L1 support, 24h support and to reach the financial goal that are associated with it. So, we will resell the Metallic service and act as the admin backup.

The way I understand Mike answer is that the privacy option won’t protect the customer from us as we are the backup admin, not the MSP. So we would be like any internal backup admin.

Would the second option allow a client owners to protect his data from the company backup administrators? If not, how can I manage the account of a customer and protect them from my team if ever somebody was to try to access to their data?

The customer also want us to present them a scenario where we would be the MSP for their tenant on CommVault Core. My understanding is that as we would be also the backup administrator for them, the privacy option would not be what we are looking for either. Is that correct? Then we would have to revert to the same second option, right?

Thank you.

ehfortin

Badge +2

Hello @Mike Struening,

I’ve looked all over the place regarding the two features you wrote about. It seems that the “Prevent admin access to company data” and “Allow owners to enable data privacy” are not available under Metallic. The toggle are there but the privacy feature has to be enabled at the CommCell level for those to be effective. That’s what I’ve been told by the product manager.

As the toggle are there, I tried hard to have those having an effect before I was confirmed this a few hours ago.

Regarding the “Allow owners to enable data privacy”, I wanted to follow the step but it seems we have to connect to the CommCell and assign a owner to the server and from there, that owner will be able to activate the feature on it and provide a password so that any backup admin that try to do a restore of the data will be denied except if he provide the password. So, that should work with Commvault core but it seems that Metallic is not offering it yet.

If you have any idea of how I could demonstrate to a customer that there is a way for them to insure the privacy of their data while we would be the backup admin for them, it would be great.

Thank you.

ehfortin

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for the update, @ehfortin !  Admittedly, I found the described option in our Core documentation.  Let me reach out to some of the Product Managers to see what options you can utilize to get the same effect.

Badge +2

Hi Mike,

I’m interested on this too …. looking forward to the clarification.

regards,

Markus

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@ehfortin for your first question “MSP admin are unable to access the data” I would enable the Restore Command Authorization feature In Security IQ.  This will enforce multiple authorization levels for restore operations.  The Privacy option would be an even better fit, but we are still working on bringing this over to Metallic.  We will prioritize this on the roadmap.

Allow owners to enable data encryption is mostly not relevant since all data is encrypted by default at global level in Metallic.

Regarding the KMS options - we recommend using the built-in option since using an externally managed KMS could put the data at risk (i.e. lose the passphrase/master key you lose the ability to restore your data)  We do offer external KMS support through special request for customers that require that, so that is why the options are there.