Skip to main content
Question

Applying SQL Server updates on Log shipping/Live Sync ENabled Primary and DR Commserver

• 3 June 2024
  • 2 replies

I wanted to apply the latest SQL server updates on the SQL Server 2019 backend on my 2 Commservers ( Primary and DR)
What are some of the safe and effective steps in doing it without causing any harm on the log shipping already configured.

The steps I have in mind so far are as follows:1
1. Stop all Commvault services  on primary ( Instance001)
2. Apply SQL Server updates on Primary and DR Commserver
3. Start Commvault services on primary ( instance 001)

I think I am missing something, please help

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @LiliDale,

You’re not really missing too much, although I would make a few other suggestions to make sure you err on the side of caution and prevent any problems.  I’m going to add just a couple more measures here:

1. Suspend any running jobs.
  2. Disable All Activity on the Commcell
  3. Stop all Commvault services on Primary CS (both instances)
    1. Technically only Instance001 really needs to stop, but I would stop both instances to be sure that Instance002 doesn’t have a connection to the SQL Instance active as a precaution
  4. Stop all Commvault Services on DR CS
    1. Same reason as before - just making sure there’s no open connections from Instance002 into the DR SQL Instance
  5. Apply SQL Server updates on Primary and DR CommServers
  6. Start Commvault Services on both Instance001 and Instance002 on Primary, and Instance002 on DR
  7. Re-enable All Activity on the Commcell
  8. Resume any Suspended jobs.

Following these steps should ensure that your SQL Instances are updated successfully and safely without negatively impacting the backup infrastructure.

-Brian Bruno

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

I get that LiveSync is configured, but I still always recommend performing a CommServeDR Backup before attempting any updates / upgrades on the CommServe.