Solved

As-Built Guide with no details

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello everyone,

I’ve confirmed I have the IsAsBuiltEnabled advanced setting set but when I generate an As-Built Guide, I get a 32 page document with no details.  Any ideas about where the problem is?

Ken

icon

Best answer by Ken_H 8 September 2022, 17:27

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi @Ken_H 

Please share commvault version.

Did you try both XML and database option?

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello @shailu89,

I’m running 11.28.10 but only tried the database option.  I’ll try XML to see if that gives different results.

Ken

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello @shailu89,

When I try the XML option I get “AsBuilt Guide XML not found”.

Ken

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Ken_H , thanks for the error.  Big help in narrowing down!

I only found 3 cases with this: 1 solved, 1 started working on its own, and 1 is active NOW.

Here’s the resolution for the 1, and the action that moved the case forward in the active case:

Not sure if either are relevant to your exact issue, but worth trying.  Otherwise, I’d create a support case as the issue is extremely rare.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

In addition to Mike's comment, please make sure to restart commserver services after making the key change

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Update:  I removed the isAsBuiltEnabled advanced setting, restarted all the CommServe services, added the flag back in, and restarted all the CommServer services again.  When I go to the URL for my CommServe host, http://<server_116>/webconsole, and navigate to Reports > Help > As Built Guide, I still get a blank report.  

However, if I run the Java GUI and click on the Web Console icon in the ribbon, my actual web server is http://<server_113>/webconsole - the server that hosts my M365 mailbox proxy .  Navigating to Reports > Help on the 113 server does not show an option for As Built Guide.

Would having the web server configured to be running on something other than the CommServe host prevent me from generating the As Built Guide?

Ken

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That’s possible, but not documented….let me check with our docs team!

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I seem to recall that for it to work it did need to be run from the CommServe but that might have changed in latest releases.

According to the documentation the option to create the As Built guide should only appear when the web console is installed on the CommServe server.

“Also, the export option appears only when the Web Console is installed on the CommServe server.”

https://documentation.commvault.com/additionalsetting/details?name=isAsBuiltEnabled

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Ken_H , I heard back from development:

Yes, if we have Commserv + webconsole package on same machine if its on different machine this key should go to webconsole package installed setup.

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

I must have misunderstood.  Using the CommCell Browser in Java GUI,  I navigated to <server_113> (my web server) > right-click > Properties > Advanced > Additional Settings > Added IsAsBuiltEnabled, WebConsole, STRING, true > OK.  Stopped and restarted the services on server_113.  When I go to the Java client > Web Console (in the ribbon) (which takes me to server_113) > Reports (tile) > Help, the As-Built Guide does not appear as an option.  Interestingly, when I go to the WebConsole on 116 (my CommServer), the As-Built option that previously generated a 32 page document with no information is now missing there as well.  

Any suggestions?

Ken

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey Ken,

Thanks for your patience on this one 😊

I think there is some confusion about webserver and webconsole. It looks to me that this option is just a GUI switch - it allows showing data within the GUI, and as such, and as per the documentation, it should go where the webconsole is install not webserver (which is a backend system that processes API requests from the frontend webconsole UI).

I think you might originally have had it right, but for whatever reason its not working (i.e generating a blank document). At this point its probably best to make a support ticket to dive into the logs and figure out why that blank doc is being created.

The XML option wont work as you there is a special script that has to be run to dump out the data which I don't think is publicly available. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Agreed with Damian.  My reply was a copy and paste from dev, so if this isn’t working, let’s get support involved.

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

I’ve removed the IsAsBuiltEnabled advanced flag from my web server and restarted the services there.  I’m now back to generating a 32 page document that says things like:

> 4.COMMVAULT SERVER INFRASTRUCTURE

> 4.1.COMMSERVES

> 4.1.1.PRIMARY COMMSERVE

> Parameter     Value

> #CSParam#     #CSValue#

Ticket 220907-533 has been opened to try and get some answers.

Ken

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’ll be watching this one closely.  Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Good news, it’s working!

Previously I had used the java GUI to navigate to <server_113> in the CommCell Browser, added the IsAsBuiltEnabled advanced setting, and restarted the services on the web server but wasn’t able to get the report to work.  Today, CommVault support connected, ran the java GUI, added IsAsBuiltEnabled to <server_113>, restarted tomcat on <server_113> and the report runs perfectly. 

I have no explanation for why it didn’t work when I tried as it seems to be the same steps in both cases.  I guess I just don’t have the magic touch.  :-)

In summary, the IsAsBuiltEnabled flag is added both to my CommServer (<server_116>) and to the web server (<server_113>), then the services on the web server (particularly tomcat) were restarted.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help.

Ken

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That’s one for the ages 🤣

Thanks for sharing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I like to think sometimes support has an aura that solves things. I can’t tell you how many times in the past I jumped on a call and a customer went to show me an issue and it was mysteriously working 🤣.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I like to think sometimes support has an aura that solves things. I can’t tell you how many times in the past I jumped on a call and a customer went to show me an issue and it was mysteriously working 🤣.

I remember fondly 20+ years ago as a young desktop support guy the number of times I’d walk over and it would just….work.  I always said it was my mere presence in person or on the phone that fixed it 🤣