Solved

Backup Plans vs Storage Policies

• 27 January 2021
  • 29 replies

Show first post

29 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Each plan should have a corresponding storage policy in the Java UI so there shouldnt be a 1 to many ratio, unless many plans have been deleted, or you are using region based plans.  

Lets ignore what we see in Java UI for a minute.  

A server plan is an encapsulation of; NameStorage Target , Retention, backup frequency, schedule, content to backup (for FS) and options, snapshot options, and database options, all rolled into 1 “container”.  

Lets break each aspect down, ill colorize some of the words to draw attention to them as they are either labels in the UI or terms that need focus.  We will start from top to bottom on the create server plan window.   

Plan name is the friendly name of the plan.  I always recommend using a name that is descriptive to talk about what its for, what storage, and maybe frequency.  Something like  Daily_FSVM_Netapp_MCSS_30_90, so I know that its my daily FS/VM plan, that writes to my netapp, secondary to MCSS (Metallic cloud storage service), primary retention is for 30 days and MCSS copy for 90. 

The storage target and retention are part of the “Backup Destination” section in the plan.  This is where you tell the backups were to go and how long to keep them.  You can also enable extended retention rules here if you need to keep certain aspects longer.  The retention also has as role in the schedule, we will get to that in a minute.  

The next part is RPO, this is your “schedule”.  This is the incremental backup frequency in minutes/hours/days/weeks/months/years, along with the start time.  This allows you to control how often and when backups can run.  This can be further isolated to days and times via the “Backup window”.  A “backup window” controls when the backups can run on a plan level.  Similar to a “Blackout Window” which can be applied on the cell, company, server group, level.  Under “RPO”, you can also schedule traditional Full backups, with corresponding options, and windows.   Remember when i mentioned that the retention has a role in the schedule, this is where the automatic synthetic full gets its schedule from.  In order for a cycle to close and for pruning to remove older backups based on the retention the cycle, we must run full or synthetic full (as a cycle is considered Full to Full).  So when you create the plan and set the retention, the synthetic full backup schedule is aligned to that timeframe.  This is how we close cycles in the event you never run traditional fulls.

The collapsed “Folders to backup” is your content to backup for file systems.  This by default is everything, but also allows you to filter files, folders, patters, and control system state options and other components.   Say you wanted to specifically run a backup for a single folder that exists across your entire file server estate.  You can control this from a single plan using this method.  

The backup “snapshot options” section allows you to control recovery points, their retention and enable backup copy operations and runtime.   I would recommend you venture into BOL for more details on that, as I dont think it will pertain to the summary of this post. 

Finally, the database option which allows you to control log backup RPO and you want to use the disk caching feature.   For databases instead of using the regular RPO option, translogs usually have more aggressive protection needs, so this option controls when translogs get protected.   

With the understanding of these foundational aspects, when looking to consolidate, start with least restricted needs of machines that need to go to a storage target.  That should be one plan.  As requirements for run time, backup type, or storage targets change, those would require an additional plans.   This should help narrow down the scope of what needs to stay, and what may be overlap.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

That is a lot of Plans for a VM footprint in the 2000+ range, even if you culled the 50 unused that is still a lot.  Plans, like Storage Policies dictate where data is written to in 1+ places and how long it is held - but that is where the similarities end. The most popular and visible distinction is that Plans combine Subclient and Schedule Policies under the one umbrella.  If you have Active Plans that functionally identical with the exception of the Schedules, then you may can consider consolidating clients under the same Plan and manually decouple them to use classic schedule policies.  That may be counter to the way Commvault Development are heading, but if your goal is to simplify management then you should way up your options because put it this way 10 Storage Policies x 15 Schedule Policies can be 150 Plans - i.e. 125 more things to manage :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi Jordan 

Thank you for the reply. 
Currently we have around 200 plans configured and more than 50 are not being associated with any clients. That’s where we have to do the cleanup. 
My question is is it a good idea to start configuring plans instead of traditional way of configuring backups using storage policies and scheduling them by manually creating schedules if we have, in our case more than 2000 VMs. We cannot configure a single plan to backup all the VMs so we will create multiple plans and each plan creates separate storage policy. This will eventually create redundant storage policies with similar retention rules. I hope I was able to explain my point. 

Thank you 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi Abdul,

May I ask how many plans you have configured in the environment? Generally it is now easier to manage environments with plans for common tasks however there may be some more advanced requirements that may still need manual manipulation of storage policies and copies. 

If everything right now is running well, it may be worthwhile to leave as if. If unsure if things are running well, see if your environment reports to cloud.commvault.com at all to check some basic health statistics. 

If you are still concerned with health of the environment, it may be worthwhile to engage your Commvault account manager get a quote for a professional health assessment.