Question

Changing the Client Identifier for the CommServe module

• 17 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4

Hello Commvault Community, 

Commvault enviroment version: SP34

I would like to ask about the possibility of changing the Client Identifier (old Client Name) for the CommServe module.

We have an environment that was migrated from the old one - Hardware Refresh, but the Client Name of the CommServe module that we wanted to change remained there.

We used the key:

bAllowModifyClientName
https://documentation.commvault.com/additionalsetting/details?name=%22bAllowModifyClientName%22&id=12282

Unfortunately, this key doesn’t allow you to replace the Client Identifier for CommServe. I know this isn;t highly recommended, but is there any chance of changing this - through Commvault technical support?

I'm asking because after Hardware Refresh we used the existing environment and backups by restoring from DR Backup with the CSRecoveryAssistant tool. After this operation, the Client Identifier was taken from DR Backup and doesn’t reflect the actual name of the CommServe module.

Thanks in advance,
Kamil

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Kamil 

Client Identifier values (set at the time of installation) cannot be changed.

The reason is CSDB will have the old entries restored from DR copy and changing will impact operations.

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

@Kamil ,

As Sebastien has stated the client identifer for the commserve cannot be change at all, not even with help from support. The best that you can do is to change the displayname used in our UI’s. You can do this via Commcell Console, Control Panel - Name Management - Update Commserve Name option.

Regards,

Edward J Holowienka

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

As my colleagues have already flagged, the CS Name cannot be changed

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/client_name.html

You can change its displayName, but internally it will still refer to the original clientName - This is by design