Question

Communication error between VSA proxy and media server

• 10 July 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

Hello

My VSA proxy server has issues communication with the media agent. 

cvping works, and also test-netconnection. The media agent has 2 NIC, admin and backup. Admin network is not reachable for the VSA proxy. There are 2 DNS records for the media agent.

mediaagent.domain.net and mediaagent.backup.domain.net

Not sure if it matters but the media agent is registered in the commcell with the admin hostname, mediaagent.domain.net 

Anyway we have created DIP and backup networks so the VSA proxy actually tries to connect to the correct IP address. But in cvfwd.log I get the following:

######## ######## Switching fd=952 to non-blocking mode
Connecting fd=952 to xx.xx.xxx.12:8403
Completing connect() for fd=952
Successfully connected to xx.xx.xxx.12:8403
=> HTTP/1.1 POST xx.xx.xxx.12:8403
ERROR: cvfwd_iot_wait(): Socket READ failed. Got READ error on ON_DEMAND control tunnel from "vsaproxy" to "mediaagent" via (xx.xxx.x.134, xx.xx.xxx.12): The specified network name is no longer available.
Error in fd=952 (Connection reset by peer). Drop it
Putting a curse on socket fd=952
Finishing cursed socket fd=952
Resetting tunnel for socket fd=952
Resetting ON_DEMAND control tunnel from "vsaproxy" to "mediaagent" via (xx.xxx.x.134, xx.xx.xxx.12)
######## ######## Deleting socket fd=952

So communication on port 8403 is good, but what does it mean with the “specified network name is no longer available”. It does not mention the FQDN of the media agent, just the hostname

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @Gnaget1891

It means there was a connectivity error to the target machine. If you set Cvfwd.log debug to 3 it might give you more information about why the connection is failing. A tool like Wireshark could also be useful here. If cvping works and DIPs are in place so the machines talk to the correct IP address\network, then there would seem to be a network level issue occurring. 

Setting Logging Parameters in the Process Manager - https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/5554_setting_logging_parameters_in_process_manager_01.html

Thank you,

Collin

Badge +3

Hello

Well the log above is actually with logging turned up. All communication works fine with cvping but I still cant communicate with the mediaagent.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @Gnaget1891 

Could you please attempt the do the host file entries on both MA and proxy for each other in the format IP FQDN SHORTNAME and restart the services on both the machines and see if that helps?

Best,

Rajiv Singal 

Badge

Hi @Gnaget1891,

Did you mange to solve your issue ? We are actually having the same behavior here !

Thank you 

Badge

Hi,

Any news on this? I’m experiencing this behavior too.

My experience:
“The specified network name is no longer available” seen on a client talking to the MA.
Had this 3 months ago. Rebooting the client (Windows) solved the issue.
Same error again happening on another client today.
Adding an additional IP address on the MA, and modifying fwconfig.txt solved the issue temporarily.

Regards
Bernd

Badge +3

It been a while, but if I remember correctly we deployed a new VM and used that as the VSA proxy, and no problems after that.

So something got messed up with the first VM

Sorry that I don’t have a better suggestion than that :-)