Question

Data aging not causing deletion of objects on S3 Object Storage

Badge +5

Hi,

I have set the retention settings of the storage policy as 1 day and 0 cycle.

Took a backup of the VM client into the HCP S3 Based object storage.

Post retention expiry, the data aging job should delete off the data from HCP and HCP-CS cloud libraries.

But the data (chunk folders and chunks) still resides on the HCP buckets and the deletion is not happening.

Any suggestions please.

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Jass Gill 

Does the storage policy copy show the job ID of the VM client backup in the first place?

Also, I don't think you can identify the chunk details of a specific VM client on the HCP buckets.

Badge +5

Yes, the Storage policy copy shows the job ID as below:

Yes, we cannot see what chunk belongs to which VM on HCP bucket. For that reason, we created a separate storage policy with a dedicated bucket and the backup was taken only once.

So on retention completion, that S3 bucket should get freed up (all objects should get deleted). But none of them are getting deleted.

Badge +5

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

This is the index backup and will not follow the storage policy basic retention rules. 

Index backup follows it's own cleanup rules.

Could you please download and import Index Backup Retention report to know if this index job is protecting any backup jobs or not.

https://cloud.commvault.com/webconsole/softwarestore/store.do#!/135/743/23630

Badge +5

as far as I remember, I didn’t initiate any specific Index Backup.

Can you please guide me what’s the difference?

All I did was create a new backupset for VMware client and create subclient inside it , associated a storage policy and ran the backup.

As per your instructions, downloaded and imported the .xml file into the reports section in Command center and got the below:

The highlighted remark says: “We keep at least 3 per storage policy. It will age when new index backup is taken or all protected jobs age.”

The highlighted remark says: “We keep at least 3 per storage policy. It will age when new index backup is taken or all protected jobs age.”

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Jass Gill 

This BOL should help you understand more about the index backup operations

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/10784_index_backup_operations_indexing_version_2.html

You can enter the Index backup job ID “1070” as shown below and click on “apply”

It will show the backup jobs it is being protecting

You Index backup “1070” is aged when all the backup jobs it is protecting are aged off and not pending to be aux copied

Badge +5

unable to find any:

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

In that case, the job ID “1070” should have been aged. Can you cross-verify that again ?

Badge +5

I can still see objects on the HCP Bucket

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

The job ID “1070” is still available on the storage policy copy? 

Badge +5

Hi @Nutan Pawar G 

I can no longer see any job ID there