Solved

Enumeration of folder during restore.

• 1 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Looking at M365 backups and see some restores takes quite a bit of time. 

From the CVMailRestore.log on the access node this line seems to indicate most of the restore time.

CVFetchMessages::EnumerateFolder - Time taken to enumerate folder: [Inbox] is [00h:09m:16s]

Based on this I’m wondering what this line means in term of performance? Where should i look to try to increase performance of this step? 

• Is it enumerating the inbox in m365?
  • Is it enumerating the inbox on the commvault indexingserver?

Monitoring the accessnode and indexserver during the restore I cannot see any excessive use of CPU/RAM so unsure where to look, or if there is anything to speed this up?

icon

Best answer by Chris Hollis 1 February 2024, 23:18

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@John Robert 

I’d need some more information from you… my understanding is that this: 
CVFetchMessages::EnumerateFolder - Time taken to enumerate folder = enumerating the inbox in m365

What were the parameters of the restore job you defined? Are we overwriting? Are we restoring directly back into the source mailbox? 

If we are not overwriting and you’ve selected to restore into the source mailbox, the enumeration process is validating which files need to be recovered or not… the larger the inbox, the longer the process.

If you were overwriting, it shouldn’t bother or take long because it’s just restoring regardless of if the message already exists or not.

I hope that makes sense… please share more details and I’ll get more clarification for you.

Regards,

Chris 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @John Robert 

I agree with Chris 100% on this and some advise when troubleshooting performance issues is to use the “CVPerfMgr.log” and the CVPerfMgrRestore.log”. These logs will be populated once a restore or backup is stopped/completed and give a full summary of the stream and where it spent all of its time. 

This log should be on the MA either reading or writing the data. Please advise if you can find it for your example job and share the findings. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Thank you guys for the answer. I need to have a look at the exact settings of the restore jobs and test some more. In this case its restore of single file back to inbox for a user which was quite big. Not sure if it was set to overwrite. so mailsize was about 100kb and restoreing it back took basically seconds.

Looking at cvperfmgrrestore.log it says exch processing, but based on the cvmailrestore.log I can see that this is consistent with the line from enumerating. (this is from another restore than the original post, so it don’t match 100% with that text line)

The enumerating of a exchange mailbox is hard to speed up, but at least I know whats causing the delay and can give users a better answer.