Solved

Error although Backup Completed Successfully

• 17 June 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi!

When executing a System State restore, we noticed a couple of things missing. The Backup Job used for the restore completed successfully. However, looking at the Job Details, we saw that the job produced an error stating the client needs to be rebooted due to some pending Windows Updates.

Is it normal this Backup Job completes successfully without warnings, although an error is thrown? I would expect the job to complete with status “Completed with one or more errors”.

We only found the error by looking at the job details of the job. Who knows if any other clients have this same error which causes the System State backup to be inconsistent. Which we can’t tell because they have the status “Completed”.

Thanks.

Jeremy

icon

Best answer by Sebastien Merluzzi 20 June 2022, 09:37

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Jeremy ,

There are many critical system state components which might have got updated in the registry and in order for them to take effect a reboot of server is required. 

You can review any of these changes by exploring the following registry entry: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations If there are items in that key, then I would recommend a reboot.

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi Sebastien,

Thanks for your mail! Maybe my post wasn’t that clear. I know we need to reboot the client 🙂. What I actually wanted to know is why this Backup Job get marked “Completed” so with a green mark, instead of marked “Completed with one or more errors” and with an orange mark.

At this point, we don’t know if there are other jobs with the same “error” because they are all marked completed. And if we need to go through all the Backup Job details it would take ages if you have 1000s of clients.

I’m not sure if this “expected behaviour” and “working as designed”.

Regards,

Jeremy

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That’s a good question, @Jeremy .

I’ll inquire a bit internally.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This sounds just like the default behaviour with VM backups where quiescing can't be performed but job completes successful. This behavior can be altered with an additional setting so it completes with warning or error.

@Mike Struening when you ask internally, can you ask if there is an additional setting for this FS situation as well?

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Jeremy, please open a ticket and ask to submit a CMR for better visibility when this scenario occurs. Concern is valid, we can’t have it result in an error code and mark it completed, knowing this is a potential issue for restoring data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Aplynx is my internal resource 🤣  Agreed with him on creating a support case, @Jeremy to ask for a CMR.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Jeremy ,

Meanwhile, you can use Job Management in the Control Panel can be used to set the job to complete with errors when specific conditions such as a designated error code is generated.

Please check our Documentation:

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=6189.htm

Best Regards,

Sebastien

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions and solutions/workarounds. We’ll have a CMR opened and in the meantime have a look at the Job Management options as Sebastien suggested.

Thanks!

Jeremy