Question

Failed objects log file

• 9 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hello,

What is the name of the file where failed objects are stored? I need to empty that file as I belive it contains files no longer existing on the server and give me errors on backups.

BR

Henke

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Henke ,

The failed objects list is in the Job results folder:

\Software\iDataAgent\JobResults

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/6580_job_results_directory_overview.html

Keep in mind, the default value for days to keep these records is only 7 days:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/6581_pruning_job_results.html

What kind of error are you getting?

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @Mike Struening ,

the problem is that it seems that the backup tries to backup files that isn’t existing, alot of them.

The result in failed files is like this  examples below

It looks to like the failed files are stored somewhere and then referenced again.

I’ve run a compare and no one of the folders exist.

/Henke

November 9:th job
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\] [0x2 2] The system cannot find the file specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\appserver\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\appserver\controllers\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\appserver\static\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\appserver\static\css\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\appserver\static\js\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\bin\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\default\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\default\data\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\default\data\ui\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\default\data\ui\html\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\default\data\ui\nav\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\default\data\ui\views\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\metadata\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\static\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.

Last job run
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\] [0x2 2] The system cannot find the file specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\appserver\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\appserver\controllers\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\appserver\static\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\appserver\static\css\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\appserver\static\js\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\bin\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\default\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\default\data\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\default\data\ui\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\default\data\ui\html\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\default\data\ui\nav\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\default\data\ui\views\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.
[D:\splunk\etc\apps\ForensicInvestigator\metadata\] [0x3 3] The system cannot find the path specified.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Perfect!  So the files exist on scan, but by the time the backlup runs, they are gone (most likely explanation).

Are there other files in this folder that are worth backing up (as in, should you just filter these folders) or perhaps the file types?

We should start by figuring out what kind of data is in these folders.  If it’s all temp files, then this can’t be ignored.

I would expect if you made a smaller subclient with JUST one of these folders, they would complete fast enough to grab the files.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Well this is for 70 000+ files and it seems odd if they all are temp files. backup doesn’t take that long, last one took 10 minutes with the same result.
I don’t think that the folders/files exists from the start.

Is there any log file that the backup is looking into to figure out if there was failures in the past and will re-try them, that can be emptied?

I did change the pruning of Jobs results to 1.

Maybe a support incident makes sense here to determen if a there is a problem or not.

//Henke

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I agree, likely a support case.  

You can check FileScan.log and Clbackup.log for further details, though if that comes up empty, open a support case and share the number here.