Question

File System sizes checks

Badge +5

Hello all!

I am wondering if there is a way to check “storage” on servers, which are a part of backup in Commvault.

Reason: 
In our company - we as a backup team does not have direct access to hosts, and sometimes it took ages to find someone responsible for server to do some checks…

Quesion:
If there is File System agent installed on server - is there a way to check things like “total size, consumed space, free space”? On both Linux and Windows machines?

It would help us a lot, especially while restoring out of place DBs.

I am asking because i have found that Oracle agent is doing some checks while preparing restore:

I have like thousands of ideas how it could improve our quality of work...

Any ideas?

Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

While it might not exist natively, you could leverage the Workflow Engine to run a script on the Client prior to initiating a restore, etc.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

As a quick and dirty example, you can use a Workflow to call the following PowerShell command to return the DeviceID, Disk Size, and Free Space for a Windows-based Client, and then output it to a popup

Get-WmiObject -class Win32_logicaldisk | format-list DeviceID, @{n="Size";e={[int]($_.Size /1GB)}}, @{Name="Free Space";e={[int]($_.FreeSpace /1GB)}}

Badge +5

Many thanks for your support!
Unfortunately, we might not be allowed to run such a script remotely on machines - possible security breach 😅

Nevertheless, it might be helpful for someone else looking for similar solution! 

Have a great day!