Solved

Incremental backups are not running on scheduled time by RPO Backup Window configuration

Badge +3

Hello.

We have configured a plan to run a Full backup once a week, and Incremental Tuesday through Friday. 

However the Incremental backup is running all the time and not for the time we schedule. Here is the RPO configuration. Could you please help us guys ?

icon

Best answer by Gokul Pattabiraman 11 October 2022, 23:43

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Can you click on of the jobs (in job history tab)  that is running outside of that window and see what the “Job started by” row is set to along with the plan?   You screen will look different than the one below but the two data points will be there.   

Badge +3

Hello @MFasulo. Tks for the reply.

Here is the screen.

Tks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hello @Raí Garcia 

Can you please confirm your software version?

By looking at your RPO screen, I can see that you have defined backup windows for both incremental and full jobs, but configured a backup frequency schedule only for Full job. There is no schedule for incremental. Can you please add one? 

Based on that observation, the Incremental jobs may be coming from other schedules outside of this plan. Do you think that is a possibility in your configuration? 

Another point to note is that backup windows and schedules by default get applied on the time zone of the server and not the time zone of Commserver or the web page. So it could be possible that the time shown in browser is indeed within the allowed backup window on the server’s time zone. Can you please show the complete job history view on the server (with backup type column selected) and the time zone of the server?

Badge +3

Hello @Gokul Pattabiraman, tks for the reply! The software version is 11.25.28.

I have configured a backup frequency for incremental as you can see below:

I also already checked if there are schedules outside of this plan and I found none.

The Web Server and Server time zone appear to be the the same:

Badge +3

Hello guys.

We made some updates on configuration, but no success yet.

Badge +3

Does anyone have an update please?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@Raí Garcia,

It turns out we have special behavior for Mongo DB agent! This is documented in below link.

MongoDB (commvault.com)

From the above doc page, “Incremental backups back up the MongoDB oplog dumps that are collected every 15 minutes. You can change the frequency of MongoDB oplog dumps by editing the log schedule policy from the CommCell Console”

In other words, the incremental backups are driven by the “Log Backup RPO” that is specified under the “Database options” tile in server plan. Automatic Log backups usually check for various criteria on the client every 15 minutes and start jobs whenever necessary. In your case, the criteria seem to be hit every 15 minutes and so job are being launched every 15 minutes.

We are still not sure why the backup window is not honored. We will try this exact configuration in our lab and get back with more information. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@Raí Garcia 

It looks like in 11.25 mongo DB incremental jobs from server plan, did not follow the backup window due to its special nature of originating from Log RPO settings. This is fixed in 11.27, so our latest LTS Release 2022E should work as expected.

For 11.25, one workaround is to create a Blackout window on the server group or global level to get this working as intended. Please refer Creating a Blackout Window (commvault.com)

Hope this helps!

Badge +3

Hello @Gokul Pattabiraman.

Ok, we will update for the 11.27 version. Thank you very much for your support!

Tks.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@Raí Garcia 

You are welcome! To clarify my earlier reply, please plan to upgrade to our Release 2022E (11.28) to get the intended behavior. 

Documentation (commvault.com)

Badge +3

Hello @Gokul Pattabiraman.

Is there any documention to upgrade to Release 2022E (11.28)?

Tks.

Badge +3

I was able to download the 11.28 Release by Commvault Store, however dont know how to upgrade the software.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hello,

Please refer to Documentation (commvault.com) for guidance on upgrade. If you already have the media from store, you should be able to run it on the Commserver machine and the wizard should guide you with the upgrade process. For upgrading other machines in the environment, below links may be of help.

Upgrades and Updates (commvault.com)

Software Upgrades, Updates, and Uninstallation (commvault.com)

Badge +3

Tks again @Gokul Pattabiraman!