Question

Invalid VM Snapshot Mount

• 10 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +15

Has anyone seeing this case where when running a backup copy, VMs are mounted, but some of them end up “invalid” this failing backup copy and hanging around vsphere. We have to manually right click and select “Remove from Inventory then run another backup which then works fine.

VMTools running latest version.

Run a full on the affected VMs and it keeps happening.

Had a ticket with CV which said that this is a VM issue, so wondering if the community has seen this before and have found a solution for it?

Thanks

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @dude,

Are you seeing any events in VMware for the Snap Mounted DS or VM? - Is this being mapped to all ESX during copy or a singular ESX?

If the Snap is mounted to a Host Group, you might need to add the nClusterMount setting (value 1) to the VSA proxy/MA to ensure its properly unmounted from all hosts,

I’d also suggest checking if the backup copy is encountering any failures/re-attempts of the Backup Phase here. - Whilst we should be doing the clean-up of the VM and removing the snap, there could be some exception here.

I’d also suggest ensuring that any backups of the vCenter VM (and any VMware / Commvault Infra) is taken outside of the backup window of VM backups. Sometimes snapshots of virtual vCenter can cause issues and Snaps of VSA Proxies can cause cleanup issues.

Best Regards,

Michael

Badge +15

Thanks @MichaelCapon for the response.

I`m using a specific ESXi Host to mount the snapshot and that is configured at the subclient level under advanced. To make sure I understand, are you proposing to NOT specify specific host and instead just leave the VCenter then add the additional setting to my VSA Group in CV?

This is the error I see when the backup copy fails. This also does not happen to all VMs, its usually a handful while all the other ones are backed up fine.

Error Code: [91:4]
Description: Virtual machine [VM_GX_BACKUP] was not found. Please verify that the virtual machine still exists and that the host is in the connected state. If the virtual machine does not exist remove it from the subclient. If the virtual machine does exist reselect the virtual machine and re-add it to the subclient content.
Source: commserve, Process: JobManager

Badge +15

@MichaelCapon hey Mike any idea if this has been seeing internally? I upgraded to 11.32.49 and some snaps still show as invalid preventing jobs from finishing.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi @dude,

are you running pure VMware or is it on top of Nutanix?