Skip to main content
Solved

Keep clients' Commvault software up to date

• 28 April 2022
  • 1 reply

We manage the Commvault service for a customer.
In the CommServe, the customer has more than 1500 clients.
Whenever there is a new client, the customer will install Commvault on their client, and we configure the backup in the CS when the new client appears.

However, the customer doesn’t install the same version as the CS. They always use an older version.
Is there a way to push the correct version to new clients automatically?

Today, hundreds of the customer’s clients have an older version, and we would like them to get on the same version as CS.
Is there a best practice for keeping clients up to date?

We have discussed creating an automatic group and add a rule for clients with status “Needs update”, but we are concerned it will create issues for the customer or the CS, like delay in backups or overload the CS..?
How does CS queue the update jobs, if we have a group with 300 clients and push update to the entire group..? 

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

When you push an update it shows up as a job with a list of all the clients, and the clients are updated in batches of 4.

In my experience client updates are harmless UNLESS they have one pass enabled or they have a version specific to their OS and Application. So be careful.

not every operating system and application is supported by the latest version.

So my suggestion to you would be to start with a support matrix files.

Dump the list of agents, and OS version and check against Commvault support matrix. 

Then what I would do is seperate them by agent type. filesystem agents are the low hanging fruit.

When pushing the updates clients that require a reboot will be skipped by default. 

check free space requirements prior to pushing updates, some applications will crash if they run out of space on their drive.

I don’t think the actual client upgrade poses much risk at all, its things like potentially filling up drives, upgrading clients to an unsupported version. things of that nature.

Also when doing upgrades, I always suggest having an idea of which systems are most important and exempting them from upgrade until you have time to dedicate to things going sideways.

You should also consider creating a do not upgrade group and applying the additional settings found  here