Log4j Vulnerability - Please Post All Questions Here

Show first post

344 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

All, it still does not seem clear having opened up these hotfixes why the installupdates and removeupdates are being updated in this … unless CV dev have put some kind of wrapper around something similar to the jndi class / lib inside these binaries ?

Noticed that no one answered your question directly!

Essentially, yes, you need to have some updates to the CS’s update distribution mechanism to push these patches.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi,

we have customer that is using the Private Metric Server and that is still using the 2.0 Version of the log4j, the version 2.17.2 is also installed, but we can’t manually remove the 2.0 version, without breaking the Metrics server.

Customer is on 11.25.25, should we create an support ticket or is there a fix already in the making?

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

My Commcell is 11.24.23 and last night i installed the hotfix 4550,4552,4553 when i do a search still see the older versions for LOG4J still in there, does any one know if Hotfix suppose to remove the old LOG4J version 

LOG4J older version Path still shows up are:

D:\Program Files\CommVault\Simpana\Apache\lib

D:\Program Files\CommVault\Simpana\CVCIEngine\CvPreviewHome\webapps\CvContentPreviewGenApp\WEB-INF\lib

D:\Program Files\CommVault\Simpana\MessageQueue\lib\optional

Hi @NVKVadivelu .  There are 1.x versions of Log4j that are there, and this update does not remove them (as they are not affected by this specific vulnerability).  However, there are other CVEs that we are investigating, including ways to replace 1.x versions with the latest.

Once we know more, we’ll update here.

What exactly does the released fix do, in the link below it is stated that it removes the affected versions. If there is a 1.x version, does it not do anything?

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/146231_security_vulnerability_and_reporting.html

Also, I have 700 SQL Servers, is there a quick way to see which ones have table level restore enabled?

Best Regards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@ADN GMBH , make a ticket for this.  

Overall, if anyone finds older versions even after applying the later Maintenance Release version, open a case to investigate.

Badge

Vulnerability page https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/essential/146231_security_vulnerability_and_reporting.html  talks about only for CVE-2021-44228, however any update on new release vulnerability CVE-2021-45046? 

Badge +1

I received the Log4JAffectedServers.xml file from CV Support.  Does Anyone have instructions as to How to Run the Report to see what servers are Vulnerable in my Environment?  The XML report is Located here: https://cloud.commvault.com/webconsole/softwarestore/store.do#!/135/663/21789

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Jeremy Fisher 

You will need to import the report xml into the Web Console and then you will see a list of affected clients and their update status.

https://cloud.commvault.com/webconsole/softwarestore/store.do#!/135/663/21789

Log4J affected servers

This report lists the servers that may potentially be impacted by Log4J vulnerability and the installation status of the corrective patches.

For info on how to do this, please see:

Downloading a Report from the Commvault Store

Downloading a Report from the Commvault Store on the Web Console

Importing Report Templates

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge

I received the Log4JAffectedServers.xml file from CV Support.  Does Anyone have instructions as to How to Run the Report to see what servers are Vulnerable in my Environment?  The XML report is Located here: https://cloud.commvault.com/webconsole/softwarestore/store.do#!/135/663/21789

1. Log into the Command Center

2. From the navigation pane, click Reports.

The Reports page appears.

3. At the top of the page, click Actions > Import report.

4. Specify the location where the report XML file is saved, and then click Open.

The report template appears in the list on the Reports tab and is deployed to the Reports page.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @Jeremy Fisher 

You should be able to import this report into your webconsole with the import option:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/essential/97429_importing_report_templates.html

Thank you

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

What specifically does this report check? Are only the specified agents and features enabled, or log4j v2.x or both?

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

@Stuart Painter@Jordan

i Just noticed that there is another fix been released and the documentation is been updated.. Can there please send out a notification to all customers to aware that the earlier provided fix isn’t enough..

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/146231_security_vulnerability_and_reporting.html

Badge

Hi all,

One of my customers has tried to install the 4552 update but got a message on 4553: “None of the updates are applicable for the packages installed on the machine”. Since he was installing this on a Commserve/MediaAgent/VSA combination machine I suspect that indeed the 4553 is not necessary, but am I right here?

Thansk in advance for your answers!

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi,

Once the hotfix has been copied to cache all clients in Commcell Console are showing as “Needs Update” and not just clients with the SQL agent installed. 

Most show the “File System Core” as the package that requires an update (SP24-HotFix-4552)

For Hyperscale it is showing as “Base0 Module” package requiring updates (SP24-HotFix-4383,  SP24-HotFix-4413, SP24-HotFix-4485 and SP24-HotFix-4551).

Is this expected behaviour and is it best to run an “Update Sofwtare” for all clients and not just the for the clients with agents listed in the “affected” section of this KB?

Thanks

Badge +5

Hello guys,

newest info is that 11.25 Log4J Fix is deprecated (please use SP16 Log4J-2.16 Fix). This is probably based on the news that log4j 2.15 is vulnerable after all. We have, however, updated *a lot* of customers in the last days with the former fix. What does it mean? Is the now deprecated fix to be replaced with the “2.16” version, as it does not help to fix the vulnerablility?

If so, can the new one be installed right over the 1st fix? There’s no mentioning in BOL.

Thanks.

Badge

If the Log4j Report shows none of your clients are affected , So do we still have to upgrade to the latest hotfix and log4j fix.. 

Badge

Hi all,

Would anyone be able to confirm if ii am correct in saying, if i do not have the below option enabled on my SQL server agents i do not have to apply the Log4j fix?  

Thanks in advance

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi,

Once the hotfix has been copied to cache all clients in Commcell Console are showing as “Needs Update” and not just clients with the SQL agent installed. 

Most show the “File System Core” as the package that requires an update (SP24-HotFix-4552)

For Hyperscale it is showing as “Base0 Module” package requiring updates (SP24-HotFix-4383,  SP24-HotFix-4413, SP24-HotFix-4485 and SP24-HotFix-4551).

Is this expected behaviour and is it best to run an “Update Sofwtare” for all clients and not just the for the clients with agents listed in the “affected” section of this KB?

Thanks

Hi @Tom Evans 

Running updates to all clients certainly won’t hurt, different hotfixes will apply different clients and packages.

Take a look at the Log4J affected servers report to help identify affected servers in your environment, as a reminder:

This vulnerability may affect the following products:

• Cloud Apps package

• Oracle agent - Database archiving, data masking, and logical dump backup

• Microsoft SQL Server agent - Database archiving, data masking, and table level restore

So, for these affected clients, there is an update to FileSystemCore package to remove log4j binaries as part of the update.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hello guys,

newest info is that 11.25 Log4J Fix is deprecated (please use SP16 Log4J-2.16 Fix). This is probably based on the news that log4j 2.15 is vulnerable after all. We have, however, updated *a lot* of customers in the last days with the former fix. What does it mean? Is the now deprecated fix to be replaced with the “2.16” version, as it does not help to fix the vulnerablility?

If so, can the new one be installed right over the 1st fix? There’s no mentioning in BOL.

Thanks.

Hi @Ingo Maus 

The Security and Vulnerability Reporting page has the latest info:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/146231_security_vulnerability_and_reporting.html

With log4j 2.15 fixes now superseded by log4j 2.16 fixes.

So if you have already applied the initial hotfixes updating to log4j 2.15, you can go ahead and then install these later log4j 2.16 fixes over the top.

If you have not yet applied any hotfixes, please go straight for the log4j 2.16 fixes.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

If the Log4j Report shows none of your clients are affected , So do we still have to upgrade to the latest hotfix and log4j fix.. 

Hi @chandrashekar 

Commvault has responded to the log4j vulnerability by providing these hotfixes, report and this guidance to enable you to make your own decisions for your environment. 

These hotfixes have been provided “out of band” for our customers to install and resolve these vulnerabilities immediately and they will also be rolled up into an MR release.

These Maintenance Releases are provided to ensure you have the latest fixes for Commvault and so by keeping up to date and installing MR packs, you will still benefit from these fixes, but after some time.

Best advice as of now is to update to the minimum version and log4j 2.16 hotfixes for any clients that may be at risk from this vulnerability.

Thanks,

Stuart