Skip to main content
Question

LTO tapes migration from LTO8 to LTO8M

• 2 July 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi all! Hope things are going well!

**Sorry, there is a wrong title of topic  → we need to migrate from LTO8M to LTO8**
I am coming to you with a question.

We were using LTO8 tapes in our storage policies, then due to savings someone decided to start using LTO8M… now all recent backups are written on LTO8M

And we do have some older backup on LTO8 and some on LTO8M:

What we need to do is to have all those date on LTO8 due to some compatibility problems.

So my question is - is there a way to migrate those data from LTO8M to LTO8 within this one particular copy? We have calculated and to store all data we would need around 100 new tapes of LTO8, but about half data is already on LTO8 tapes. 

We thought about creating a new synchronous policy, but it will require all data to be rewritten on new LTO8 tapes, we would like to avoid that because we already do have part of data on LTO8.

I would be glad if you have any tips which might avoid us buying unnecessary amount of new tapes.

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @Grzegorz 

You can use Tape to tape copy feature.

Please refer to this

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/move_contents_of_media_from_one_tape_to_another.html

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

greetings Grzegorz,

I’d
- add the data paths with LTO8 spare pool to the global tape pool(s),
- mark the data paths with LTO8M as readonly
- enable Tape Refesh on the SPCs with tape (if not already active)
- list the media in the SPC
- request a Media Refresh for old the LTO8M media

this will copy all valid data from the medium to a new one within the same pool

If you use the Tape 2 Tape copy, the target media requires to have the same or more capacity and you do not use the extra capacity, that you gain with the LTO8 compared to LTO8M.
it is a 1:1 operation

never mind 
Klaus

Badge +5

Hi all!

Thank you for your amazing tips!
I believe that we would try solution with tape refresh - since we have discussed the one about tape to tape copy, but as mentioned it will not utilize extra space on LTO8 and it will also require manual work on every single tape...