Question

Maximum size of VM, recommended for snapshot backup.

• 24 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Maximum size of VM, recommended for snapshot backup.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Vikramsingh.T,

There is no maximum but in the past there was a general recommendation that VMs over the size of 2 TB use a physical agent for backup, as the hypervisor may not have kept up with VM snaps. However, its not the size of the VM is the change rate. When you make a change (write) on the system, that is what drives the snapshot size and I/O. Bigger VMs tent to attract higher change rates but that is not always the case.

Badge +1

Hi @Damian Andre ,

can we suggest IntelliSnap, beyond the 2 TB size? or filesystem backup should be good up to 5TB size of VM?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Hi @Vikramsingh.T,

There is no maximum but in the past there was a general recommendation that VMs over the size of 2 TB use a physical agent for backup, as the hypervisor may not have kept up with VM snaps. However, its not the size of the VM is the change rate. When you make a change (write) on the system, that is what drives the snapshot size and I/O. Bigger VMs tent to attract higher change rates but that is not always the case.

As far as I'm aware this is only the case on hypervisors running VMware with the default VMware snapshot mechanism in place. In case you use vVols or running NetApp + NFS + ESXi 7 update 2 or higher + with snapshot offloading, than this specific case will not be a blocker.