Solved

Migration 1 SQL Server for new SQL server by commvault

Show first post

89 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Fernando Souza have you had a chance to confirm the above?  Did you already install the SQL iDAs or do you need to install another one?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks @Fernando Souza !!

I reread your posts and it sounds like you already added both SQL servers needed….is that right?

You have 3 Application class 1 licenses and all 3 are in use (I’m assuming these are physical servers, not vms) so I think you’re ok.

If you STILL need to install this SQL server, and have 3 other servers installed using the 3 availablethen you are out of licenses (only your account rep can get you more).

You also have Commvault Complete for Virtual Machines (for 10 vms) and don’t seem to be using any right now, so that’s an option, potentially.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Mike Struening 

I don´t think i need to acquire new licenses, but can you help me? *If i need new licenses.

The license:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Possibly, but not likely….what is your licensing type?  Do you have Capacity Licensing set up?

This might be a conversation for your Account Rep (in case you DO need additional licensing though you can review the full licensing guidehere: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=18120.htm

I would expect if you have capacity licensing and room to space, then you should be just fine.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Mike Struening

I need to know if i need license for commvault when i add new SQL Server to migrate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Fernando Souza , are you asking if the actual Microsoft SQL server needs to be licensed, or if you need to increase your commvault licensing?

CV licensing needed for a SQL agent (which leads to the full licensing guide): https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=18120.htm

If you have an instance of SQL running, it would need to have a valid MSFT license (assuming you are not referring to the Commserve which is already licensed: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=2801.htm)

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Do i need new licenses before migrate SQL Servers? because i use  the actual sql license to the new server

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

The major question: procedure to  migrate SQL Database by (Commvault) Continuous Data Replicator.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

@Fernando Souza 
for Commvault functionality it doesn’t matter, Enterprise is only needed if you want use other SQL functionalities what isn’t available with SQL standard.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=1720.htm

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

@M Scheepers 
Ok, i understand, but need more add more license for add this new client to migrfate the SQL Server? or for example: there are a limitationsof the connections concurrents for backups or whatever.

is there any limitation between SQL Standard and the entrerprise Version for Commvault?

Because the customer need to purchase the license and have this doubt.

is there a doc (website) explain about this type of license (SQL)?
Userlevel 3
Badge +6

hi @Fernando Souza,

what do you want to achieve?

Is the SQL of the Commserve needs to be migrated/upgraded or a other client in the environment?

the need of SQL standard or SQL Enterprise is depending on the functionality needs.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @M Scheepers 

Regarding to upgrade Commvault 
Current version of Commvault: 11 SP 13+

i will need to update before migrating SQL.

But the license i would like to know if need to acquire new licenses before migrate the SQL servers.

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Hi Fernando,

you should always upgrade Commvault to a recent/supported version. The latest release has improvements for CDR.

What do you mean about the license from Commvault perspective? Its part of Commvault Complete. So it depends what licenses you currently own

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

The question: Do i need more SQLlicenses to migrate SQL Servers?