Question

Mix and Match Linux/Windows Media Agents?

• 19 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Getting ready to deploy Commvault Media Agents to AWS EC2 instances.   A pair of Media Agents should do the job.     We have several sets of Windows or RedHat Media Agents in our environment.   Going with a pair of Windows Media Agents would require us to have a File Recovery Enabler for Linux VM, too.   Going with a pair of Linux Media Agents might require us to deploy a Windows proxy/access node VM.  

Are we able to roll out a mixed pair of Media Agents, instead?     One Windows Media Agent, One Linux Media Agent.   Same global DDB.   

I can’t find anything on it.  Curious to hear thoughts.   

Thanks!

3 replies

These days with 3dnfs (DataServerIP) there should not be an issue in mixing them. The below, on the other hand, is quite important when deploying Media Agents:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/deduplication_building_block_guide.html

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@DaysAndCycles  - it’s not something customers normally do and one thing to mention in addition - is if using Dedupe its recommended to use the same OS as outlined here - Deduplication Building Block Guide (commvault.com)

• For partitioned DDB, host each DDB on different physical drives for better performance.

• When hosting the DDB on different MediaAgents, ensure that all MediaAgents are of similar operating system type, with 64-bit version, and the MediaAgents are online.

@DaysAndCycles  - it’s not something customers normally do and one thing to mention in addition - is if using Dedupe its recommended to use the same OS as outlined here - Deduplication Building Block Guide (commvault.com)

• For partitioned DDB, host each DDB on different physical drives for better performance.

• When hosting the DDB on different MediaAgents, ensure that all MediaAgents are of similar operating system type, with 64-bit version, and the MediaAgents are online.

Interestingly, I can’t find the “ensure that all MediaAgents are of similar operating system type” after 11.16.    It’s entirely impossible that it’s stated in a slightly different way elsewhere.   

I’ll ask our Commvault team for some guidance on this (they’re the ones who have to support us when we get jammed up!)   :D  

Thanks, folks!