Question

New extended retention rule not applying to existing backup jobs

• 23 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +4

We introduced a new storage library in our Commcell and I am trying to copy some backup jobs over to the new library by creating a new Copy in storage policy.

Initially I disabled the Data Aging option in the retention tab of the new copy. The goal was to stop the data aging from this new copy so I can compare job numbers in this new copy with job numbers in the old copy to ensure that all backup jobs have been copied over. Now when I enable the data aging and set extended retention rules, it doesn't look like it is being applied to existing backup jobs that have been copied to this new copy.

Does anyone know how I can set the extended retention rules to existing jobs?

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

@Boyi 

Its depend upon which type of jobs it is. Please follow the DOC and let us know if this helps.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=12140.htm#012152

Also send us the screenshots with an example JOB ID in order to review more.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @Boyi 

Extended Retention only affects Full jobs based on the criteria you’ve selected and we cannot go back and retroactively apply Extended Retention to existing backup cycles. Moving forward Extended Retention will apply to Fulls (based on the criteria you’ve selected) and if you want, you can manually extend retention on any job by right clicking the job > Retain Job.

Thank you,
Collin