Solved

Office 365 & AzureAD authentication methods

• 4 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

We want to configure backups for Office 365 & AzureAD.

According to the documentation the most secure method currently available is by registering (multiple) apps which can be configured manually or automatically when using a global admin with temporary MFA disabled.

The only possible authentication method seems to be clients secrets which is better than service accounts for sure, but I wouldn’t call it the most secure method either.

Not sure if (Azure) conditional access can be applied to the app registrations.

Is there any other way possible, such as certificates or even managed identities ?

It seems Commvault has possibilities in that direction but only for Azure VM’s.

Kind regards,

Tom

icon

Best answer by Chris Hollis 12 April 2023, 01:23

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@Tom Pirot 

Good question, I don’t see anything about this at the moment however i’ll see if I can find out and get back to you in the coming days.

Thanks,

Chris 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Tom Pirot

Thanks for your patience.

Received confirmation our develpoment team are working on adding support for certification based authentication - currently in the R&D phase with no timeline available for me to share. 

Currently, the only supported method is via azure apps with secret keys.

If you’d like, you can create a Change Modification Request via this process: https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/133935_creating_customer_modification_request_from_commcell_dashboard.html - you can then track it’s progress.

I hope this helps and thanks again!

Regards,

Chris

Badge +1

Thanks @Chris Hollis !