Question

Postgresql incremental backup is passive?

• 11 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

I have a linux ubuntu 20.04 server and postgresql is installed on it. File system core, postgresql, file system are installed as software. I can restore full bakcups, but the restore option for incremental ones is passive. What could be the reason for this?

3 replies

Badge +1

@cihat : Greetings for the day! I am not able to understand the “Restore option for incremental ones is passive”, It would be great if you explain it.

As per my understanding, you are trying to perform PITR with the Incremental backup(Log) & if so, could you please confirm if you are performing the restore using below steps:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/21582_restoring_postgresql_databases_to_point_in_time.html

or let us know which documentation you are referring to perform the restore.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Just like the documentation posted by Pearl says, the restore should be done from the Instance → File System Based Backup Set, instead of the backup history.

Probably what is happening is that the WAL from the job are restored to the Archive Directory in the client, and the DBAs would have to apply it. Makes sense, because a restore needs to delete the current PG Data and WAL Directory, copy the data from the Full Backup, then apply all the WAL files to the Point in Time selected.

Restoring just the logs will not help undo the data to the PIT, but helps with data corruption when you need to fix some tables.

Badge +3

@cihat : Greetings for the day! I am not able to understand the “Restore option for incremental ones is passive”, It would be great if you explain it.

As per my understanding, you are trying to perform PITR with the Incremental backup(Log) & if so, could you please confirm if you are performing the restore using below steps:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/21582_restoring_postgresql_databases_to_point_in_time.html

or let us know which documentation you are referring to perform the restore.

Thats it