Solved

Restore ACL to UNC path

• 1 February 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi, Does anyone happen to know if it should be possible to restore an ACL when restoring to a UNC path? We backup a UNC path (using Network Share Client, generic for CIFS Azure Files) and the ACL from a file or directory is restored when restoring to a local disk, but not when restoring to the source UNC path.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by iConsultant 17 February 2022, 15:26

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi. Are you using Windows File System agent to backup\restore here? 

I believe WFS should be able to restore ACLs to UNC as we do have them included in backup. It may be a permissin access thing in your environment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Assuming the destination UNC path is on the same domain as the source?

Badge +1

Hi, We tried with both Network Share Agent and Windows File System Agent, restoring ACL to a UNC path doesn't seem to work (the rights will be inherited of the destination folder). It works to a local path. We give the account used for restores rights on the destination and it's all in the same domain. Restoring the data without the user rights works great.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

I suggest you log a case with Support to investigate. We may need to increase the debug level and check the logs during restore or even run ProcMon to see what happens while we try to restore ACLS.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

I think a support ticket is indeed best. Thanks all for feedback!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@iConsultant , can you share the case number so I can track it accordingly?

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @Mike Struening, Commvault support is on top of it, but I'm happy to share the ticket number: 220201-351. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for sharing.  I’ll keep an eye on it!

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Thanks all, This has been swiftly resolved by Commvault support, it works great you just need to realize that to restore the ACLs, you must provide in Commvault an account with the appropriate rights, in the case of Azure Files meaning for example the account that is indicated in Azure itself when you review the PowerShell script to map a drive to the share (meaning the Azure storage account with the access key). I just became a little bit less ignorant again :slight_smile: .