Question

Server Plans - default snap copy

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hello!

Is there a way to create a new server plan and disable the creation of the default snapshot primary copy?

I don’t want to go to commcell console and delete the automatically created primary snap copy. I just want my primary copy and tape copy when I create a backup plan.

Regards,

Pedro

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Not that I'm aware of. I think @MFasulo might be able to chip in here to answer your question. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Not that I'm aware of. I think @MFasulo might be able to chip in here to answer your question. 

And do you know why is this the default behavior? I mean, if Commvault wants us to use plans and command center, making it impossible to delete that snap copy or even not creating one when you don't need it is annoying.

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

After four months of struggling, I just got my OneDrive backups working with the V2 client and have the exact same question.  I have a Primary copy with 2 weeks retention for daily backups and 1 year retention for Monthly full backups plus a copy to my DR storage with the same daily/monthly retention.  I don’t understand what else the Snapshot copy gives me and there doesn’t seem to be any way to remove it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

After four months of struggling, I just got my OneDrive backups working with the V2 client and have the exact same question.  I have a Primary copy with 2 weeks retention for daily backups and 1 year retention for Monthly full backups plus a copy to my DR storage with the same daily/monthly retention.  I don’t understand what else the Snapshot copy gives me and there doesn’t seem to be any way to remove it.

You can remove it using the commcell console. Under storage policy, select the snap copy, all taks, delete

I just do not understand why this is the default behavior. And why I cannot disable this option during the Plan creation.

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Thanks @PedroRocha

Yes, I see the solution.  It’s certainly weird how CommVault has become a product that requires a list of hacks that customers need in order to do basic administration.  Earlier this year I was given a SQL Server UPDATE command to change a setting within a table in the COMMVAULT database.  Our storage hardware will be end of life within two years and we’ve started evaluating other vendors for backups because of how bad the administration of CommVault has become.

Ken

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Not that I'm aware of. I think @MFasulo might be able to chip in here to answer your question. 

Can you help us @MFasulo ? Thanks in advance.

Badge +1

I realize this thread is old, but don’t really see any response from Commvault on this issue. I agree w/others that this “Feature” only creates confusion and issues when setting up plans based on my needs! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I have forwarded this thread to some contacts within engineering. My opinion is that they should make the addition of the snap copy an opt-in during the plan configuration. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I unofficially heard that this is coming in the CPR2024e release that is planned to be release in the summer release. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

It’s not used unless you enable IntelliSnap.  Is it causing a problem?

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

That is indeed a fair question as well @Scott Moseman! If it is not causing problems than why bother, right? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

@Onno van den Berg But why add something thats not being used at all, that only is a possible option for confusion.

And also one more thing that may go wrong when a plan is craeted.

It’s sais that the Command Center is to make things easier, so is adding overhead items making it easier?

@PedroRocha As I have had it explained when I had problems with the snap copy, it’s not recommended to make updates in the java console of items that is created in Command Center as the two isn’t on speaking terms all the time.

//Henke

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

I do not feel the existence of the Snap Copy makes using Command Center any more complex.  If you want to enable snapshots at some point, it actually makes the process easier since you do not need to go back and add a Snap Copy manually.

In my opinion, if you look at all the options in the Java interface which you never need to use, it is far more confusing than Command Center.

Thanks,
Scott

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Onno van den Berg But why add something thats not being used at all, that only is a possible option for confusion.

And also one more thing that may go wrong when a plan is craeted.

It’s sais that the Command Center is to make things easier, so is adding overhead items making it easier?

@PedroRocha As I have had it explained when I had problems with the snap copy, it’s not recommended to make updates in the java console of items that is created in Command Center as the two isn’t on speaking terms all the time.

//Henke

You can also turn it around. Why bother if it doesn't interfere and I do not see why this could cause any issue while creating a plan. Why do you see it as overhead? 

We are running plans ever since it was introduced and never encountered issues because this snap copy is present already. We even enjoyed the ease of it as it requires less configuration work once you enable intellsnap on a hypervisor. Anyhow in the near future it will be an option and I assume you can also remove it once this release hits the street.