Question

sql and oracle transaction log backup ,schedule settings

• 21 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +13

for sql backup schedule 

i need to take db backup full daily and transaction log backup hourly , its 2 node windows cluster 

i created one schedule for sql db backup and created seperate tasks for db and logs

below for  db backup task

and i created another task like below for transaction log backup 

is this right way , because i am getting below for the sql backup summary 

where as i am running oracle backup

since it shows archive as deferent instance 

as well since it shows the archive instance separately i created another schedule policy for archive backup same as above but it shows 2 jobs running hourly for oracle 

can someone help me correct way of scheduling db and log backup for oracle & sql

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @Ajal 

Oracle backups work slightly different from other database agents. By default we create default & Archive log sub-clients.

If a backup is scheduled on the default sub-client by default it will perform full & archive log. 

Archive log sub-client will perform logs only backup.

To better align oracle backup would recommend to use a separate schedule police for oracle backups.

1 schedule to initiate backups of default sub-client which contacts full 

1. Archive log sub-client to perform hourly logs only backup

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Gowri Shankar

Userlevel 1
Badge +13

this is how i have done it for oracle , however i can see 2 backup running hourly  as you can see below one is default and one is archive log

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

un-associate the default sub-client from the policy which triggers an hourly backups and assign the policy which has schedule for the full backups

Userlevel 1
Badge +13

ok @Gowri Shankar  i will check that if its associated with it,

what about sql , can you help me there 

how to create a task for log hourly full backup and daily db full backup