Solved

SYSVOL folder is not backed up

• 15 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +7

Hi,

I have a Domain Controller and we back it up with Activate Directory agent and File Level backup as well. However, when I tried to restore a file in the folder SYSVOL, I found out that Commvault did not back up that SYSVOL folder at all. Does anybody know why Commvault skipped backing up SYSVOL folder?

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by TD89 19 December 2023, 01:15

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

The SYSVOL folder is protected only in case you have the system state option turned on. So, please check this out. In terms of a specific file restore I found out myself that this can be done only in an out-of-place scenario. So please try that! 

Badge +7

Hi @Onno van den Berg 

Thank you so much for the reply. Yes, I do have the system state turned on, but I don’t quite understand what you mean by saying “out-of-place scenario.”

I opened a case regarded to this matter. Case 231214-840, and the support told me that the SYSVOL folder should be in DFS Replication Services. He told me if I restore the DFS Replication Services, I would find the SYSVOL folder in there. I haven’t tried it yet, but once I have a chance on Monday, I will try to see if I could find the SYSVOL in there.

Badge +7

Update: I restored DFS Replication Services, and the files that I need in SYSVOL were in there. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for the update @TD89 - Interesting to note, any files that the VSS system writer notes as system protected files, are excluded as well and contained within the system state backup. This becomes interesting for folks as they need to go restore an executable for an application - but if the executable is part of a service, it wont be visible in the regular backup and must be restored from system state as service executable are always protected files.