Technical Assistance Needed: Secondary Copy of SQL Server Jobs

• 12 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Dear friends,

I need your valuable assistance with a technical matter. I have a Plan associated with a Storage Policy, which includes a primary copy to disk. Within this policy, there are various jobs with different dates, some related to virtual machines, and others to SQL Server databases.

My goal is to create a secondary copy exclusively for the SQL Server jobs and restrict it to specific recent dates. However, when attempting to run this secondary copy for the desired date range, the initiated job doesn't seem to capture any data, and it does not appear in the list of jobs to copy.

I have attached images in the order of how I perform the procedure. If any of you can provide guidance or assistance on this matter, I would greatly appreciate it.😊✌🏻

I have successfully executed this process for both Oracle databases and file systems. However, I have encountered a specific issue when attempting to apply it to SQL Server.

4 (In this image as you can see I don't get any SQL Server FULL job.)

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @FeRox,

Can you verify that the SQL full jobs exists on the primary copy (NOT the snap primary). It could be that they are waiting to backup copy from the snap. Can you view jobs on the copy labeled primary and check?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@FeRox Also based on these screenshots this might be appaware? If you are leveraging appaware then the process is a little different and the VM jobs are required as they contain the data while the SQL jobs only contain the metadata and you would be running backup copies.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/14241_application_aware_backups_for_virtual_server_agent.html

If this above does not apply, then above mentioned by Damian would be first place to start.

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

@Scott Reynolds , what you mention is not applicable in this case. I think @Damian Andre's observation might be more pertinent, I really appreciate your help Scott:

@Damian Andre , I have reviewed your comment and indeed, in the primary copy I cannot find the Full copies of SQL. However, I can confirm that the primary Snap copies are indeed available. I am attaching images for clarity:

This is the storage policy at the moment.

Now:

1. The first image corresponds to the 'BTAS_DBTRX02_VM_FULL_SEM01' Storage Policy jobs.
  2. The second image shows the 'BTAS_DBTRX02_VM_FULL_SEM01 snap copy'.
  3. The third image represents the primary copy.

JOBS BTAS_DBTRX02_VM_FULL_SEM01

JOBS “BTAS_DBTRX02_VM_FULL_SEM01 snap copy”

JOBS “Primary” 

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Dear @Scott Reynolds I think I made a mistake with what you mention, I applied the XML file and this came out:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@FeRox 

Ok so the jobs need to be on the traditional primary copy to have them auxcopy to a secondary copy. You cannot go from snap primary → secondary copy.

To move a snap job from snap primary to traditional primary, you need to run a backup copy job.

To run a backup copy, follow these steps:

1. From the CommCell Browser, expand Policies > Storage Policies > [select the desired storage policy].
2. Right-click the storage policy and click All Tasks > Run Backup Copy.
3. The Backup Copy dialog box will appear.
4. On the Backup Copy Options tab, select the appropriate options for the backup copy.
5. On the Job Initiation tab, choose whether to run the backup copy immediately or schedule it.
6. Click OK to start the backup copy operation.

If your other snap jobs are completing OK during the backup copy, I am a little syspect that something isn't working right for your SQL snaps - keep an eye on the backup copy jobs (there should be a parent controller job and individual backup copy jobs that launch for each job to copy) - or look at your backup copy history to try determine why the SQL snaps are not copying.

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Dear friends,

I want to express my sincere gratitude for all the suggestions and advice you have provided. I have diligently followed your recommendations; however, unfortunately, I have not been able to make significant progress at this time.

In light of this situation, I have decided to open a support case to seek additional solutions. Once I receive the answers and achieve successful progress, I will be delighted to share the results with you.

I greatly appreciate your time and effort in assisting me with this challenge. Your support has been of great value.

Thank you again, and I look forward to positive news.