Solved

Virtual Snapshot/Backups in Commvault don't count towards license?

• 13 November 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

We have a third party vendor with our company that is asking a particularly weird question which honestly I don't know where he got this information, and I need some advice rather than just throwing a ticket at it which I don't think it requires one.

We are trying to migrate a lot of our backups process from tape to Nimble environments or Storage Arrays, and some of the big backups that we're doing to the storage arrays are virtual snapshots of our VM environments from our VMware. This vendor, which is not affiliated with Commvault, is stating that Commvault capability of doing VM snapshots is technically not counting towards licenses within Commvault because it is capable of providing backups of its snapshots free of service within Commvault which doesn't count towards our license.

Is this true?

For me I was told from the get-go that anything that we back up with in the Commvault environment will have a charge per terabyte whether it be  file level system backups, virtual snapshot backups, sequel database backups, exchange database backups, Etc. now this is back in 2017 when we were told all this so I don't know if things have changed but any input on this information would be greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Thomas Bryant 13 November 2023, 17:58

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

As the adage goes in IT, it depends. We have flexible licensing options, so it would depend mostly on what type of licensing you are trying to leverage in conjunction with the snapshots. My suggestion would be to reach out to your Commvault sales rep or partner that sold you Commvault to have a more detailed discussion on it, as often the details are critical. One of the most common types of our licensing is by Ingested (“Front end”) Terabyte. Below is an excerpt from our licensing guide. It might help as well.

Commvault counts terabyte consumption in two ways, depending on the technology used to capture the data. For traditional backup, Commvault counts the application size of the latest full back up or synthetic full backup for each sub client. If the agent has multiple backup sets, the backup set with the largest backup size is counted towards capacity.

For all archive-based operations (including OnePass5), terabytes are measured as the last backup cycle of each OnePass sub client, which includes the latest full or synthetic full, plus all incremental jobs that have run since the last full / synthetic full. Additionally, all legal hold and object link jobs are also counted towards archive consumption in the manner outlined here.