Question

Store once best practices.

• 7 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

I have a few store once devices in my environment.

i haven’t been able to figure out what the best practice is in regards to creating catalyst stores.

up until now, i have simply created 1 store per site, so all backups go to the same store (sql,file,web, etc)
that is to keep it simple. but i have read a few places that the “correct” approach would be to create a store per content group. so one store for fileserver backup, 1 for db backup, etc.

Has anyone stumbled upon any actual recommendations ? 

2 replies

Badge

Hello Carsten,

Thanks for reaching out. Please can you check the link below on best practices.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/best_practices_for_hpe_storeonce_catalyst_library.html

• Target similar data types to dedicated StoreOnce Catalyst stores, and avoid mixing data types within a store. Backups of differing data types, such as two different database types, will not deduplicate well against each other. Separating different data types into separate libraries/shares/stores reduces the complexity leading to optimum long-term performance.

Badge +1

Alright, thanks for the input.

short follow up.

i find that having 3+ catalyst stores /libraries on each site where we have storeonce a bit.. circumstantial..

as far as i know there is no way of adding multiple stores/libraries to the same storage policy, AND having control of where data goes. (sql to sql library, file to file library etc.) only way to do this is to have each store/library associate with a dedicated storage policy for that particular backup type.

the question is, if it is worth the effort.

if the dedup factor is close to the same regardless, i would say no. but if it is a question about dedup not working at all on storeonce if the ingested data is mixed, then it could make sense to configure mutlible catalyst stores?